2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM
wretchedsmurf is on a distinguished road
Default 96 heater core replacement

I'm trying to get to it. I've searched around about it and was told I could get to it by removing the bottom dash then was told the whole dash had to pivot forward. I've gotten it to pivot forward but I still can't get to the heater core. Dunno if I need to completely remove the radio but it doesn't seem to give much room. So I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any help please

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Seems like there's a "How-To" on the forum somewhere.... in a nut shell, IIRC, drop the steering column and rest it on the driver seat. Remove the entire instrument panel from the vehicle. Don't need to do anything with the A/C. Remove the heater case from the vehicle. Remove the heater core cover and replace the core. Take lots of pictures so you know where stuff goes when you put it back together. Flat rate labor time is ~6.5 hours, and that's if you've done it before, (even less time if you're good) If not, allow more time.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM

The how-tos I found had me going different ways, one mentioned leaving the dash but removing the radio and glove box to get to the heater case screws nut that didn't help. One mentioned just removing the bottom half of the dash and another mentioned pivoting the whole thing forward. I now have the wheel resting on the seat, I may get more room if I d/c all the harnesses. This is my 1st attempt at this sort of dashboard disection and I was expecting 6hrs+ and it hasn't disappointed lol

Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

If you remove all connections to the dashboard: 3 big ones on the right, one big connector held together with screw in the middle near the steering column, vacuum hose connection, connector behind radio, and antenna connection, you should be able to lift the entire dashboard out off of the pivot pins. You will then have access to the plastic heater core cover. Removing the glove box gets you nowhere...it comes out with the entire dashboard assembly.
When I replaced the heater core on my '96, I removed the radio and heater controls... after pivoting the dash forward, I found out I didn't have to because there is another in-line connector behind the dash.
Just go slow...if it doesn't lift out easy, then something is still connected...assess the situation and try again.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM

On the left it's the E brake line holding on and the right it's just the electrical harnesses which it looks like I'm going to have to disconnect which I'm trying not to break those in the process lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Ok so now i have a problem. When i finished reinstalling the dash. Theres no power what-so-ever. Won't start, power nothing, it does nothing when key is turned. I reconnected every harness i d/c. Any idea?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Are the Ignition switch and fuse panel connected tightly? Both have bolts in the center of the connector.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Ok update... Turns out my distributor cap was fried and the battery failed lol. Had me worried i messed up something in the dash lol.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Beginning Member
cb_murray is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang.. i just found a puddle of green coolant in my passenger side floormat today.. 6.5 HOURS, you say, to replace?? Ugh.. may be time to sell the vehicle!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I took mine to the shop to have it replaced. The only thing hard was paying the bill, but easier than trying to change it myself.

Quick Reply: 96 heater core replacement