2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 rear hatch troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013 | 03:55 PM
|
nitmoves1962 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 rear hatch troubles....

First time poster. A year ago I replaced the rear glass support arms. The new supports were a lot stronger than OEM to the point you could hit the release from the driver seat and the window would fully open. It was all fun and games until something bent or shifted. now you can see an air gap @ the bottom of the glass and the top of the glass is 2 inches about the roof line to where the seal doesn't touch the glass. I cannot see where anything is bent or the hinges have shifted. Nor do I see any adjustment. I have searched hatch problem to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-14-2013 | 04:21 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

is the glass pulling away from the rubber at the top and or around the latch? there is no adjustment that i know of...

Old 01-15-2013 | 12:21 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

There IS adjustability on these hatches! I am assuming your 96 has the usual split gate/hatch as both my 96 & 97 have. It has been years since I've had to adjust mine,so I can't quite recall how I did it,but look real closely at the latch assy on the gate itself and if memory serves me that is where the adjustment is possible.My issue was letting dirt and cold air and exhaust fumes in as well as rattlin'! Took me about a half an hour to figure it out! Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013 | 11:21 AM

I just installed a rear glass in mine a few months back and I couldn't find adjustment at the top short of shimming the hinge plates...

Old 01-15-2013 | 01:00 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I have a latch issue with rear door as well.I looked for a way to adjust it.Nothing just regular latches.

Old 01-16-2013 | 12:49 AM

I'll have to look the next time my Jimmy is home(its always roaming,and not always with me),but Dia you are right about the top of the glass adjustment,but I've never seen that issue,again:I recall adjusting the latch to draw in the lower edge of the glass and it solved my problem,but this was 5 or 6 years ago-I'll look and post what I recall.

Old 01-16-2013 | 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by step66
I'll have to look the next time my Jimmy is home(its always roaming,and not always with me),but Dia you are right about the top of the glass adjustment,but I've never seen that issue,again:I recall adjusting the latch to draw in the lower edge of the glass and it solved my problem,but this was 5 or 6 years ago-I'll look and post what I recall.
thanks, my latch is kinda tight since i replaced the glass. be nice to fix it if i can

Old 01-17-2013 | 12:29 AM

OK,I looked at my unit today and if you look closely at the latch assembly you will notice a horizontal pin held by what appears to be a 10mm nut,this is passed through a slotted channel,loosen the nut and you should be able slide the latch mechanism back(towards the front of the vehicle) Do this in small increments to attain the proper tension to seal the hatch,but not too tightly to damage the latch. Let us know!

Old 03-08-2013 | 08:10 PM
TAZ454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear hatch window

I am going thru the same thing on my 98 , put new lift shocks on mine about a year ago now ive got a gap between top of glass and roof line , new shocks stronger than original,
could the hinges get bent ?? is there adjust ment on the inside hinge ??

Old 03-08-2013 | 11:37 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

as far as i can tell on my 98's there is no adjustment for that.

Quick Reply: 96 rear hatch troubles....