2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer: 4wd issue while on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

My blazer did the same thing, and it ended up being the vacuum switch on the transfer case being bad, $20 part and about 30 minutes of work and BAM, done no more noise

Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Beginning Member
Edelbroke is on a distinguished road

This right?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jbsnowboarder16
My blazer did the same thing, and it ended up being the vacuum switch on the transfer case being bad, $20 part and about 30 minutes of work and BAM, done no more noise
Originally Posted by Edelbroke
This right?
That's the vacuum actuator located under the battery. The transfer case switch looks like this:

and is really fun to get to. Persistence and an open ended wrench will do the trick. Check to see if there's any fluid in the switch before replacing. Also, the ball on the end of the switch should depress easily and freely. When I replaced mine, the stocker no longer did this.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

cant find the vacuum switch on thr transfer case... I do have a 3 button dash switch so there should one... What's the best way to get to it???

Old 11-29-2010, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Diagram LINK

Is the best I can find at the moment without crawling under my truck and snapping a pic. I got to mine by lying underneath the driver's side, head by the LF tire. Reach up and around the transfer case. It will be on the top right if you're lying how I described. There are three vacuum lines attached to it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edelbroke
cant find the vacuum switch on thr transfer case... I do have a 3 button dash switch so there should one... What's the best way to get to it???
Please do not double post your question.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member

Found the vacuum switch...
Replace it along with the actuator under the battery. 4x4 works as it should again.

On the vacuum switch I removed, the ball was stuck in. This must be such a common thing to go bad the vacuum switch was on the "HELP" rack at the auto store.

I also picked up a for sale sign while I was there!