2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer ABS NOT working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member
tsLongarms is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer ABS NOT working

Hello again, i'm back with even more idiotic questions for you guys. I have a 97 blazer LS 4x4 with 4.3 and 5 speed. I've looked around the forum and can't quite find a thread about the an ABS systems complete failure.
Lights always on, theres no codes throwing that have to do with ABS, and the only code throwing is the 0155 (forgot what exactly it was.)
I'm 100% certain that theres no ABS whatsoever. I'm thinking its the obvious "wheel speed sensor(s)" that arn't working. But before I start throwing parts at it, I want to "confirm" my suspicions. I want some opinions regarding the possible causes of ABS failure.
That being said, my question is obvious: What are the most probable causes to my ABS problem? What other possibilities are there?

Thank you for your time.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What are you using for a scan tool? Generic OBD2 scan tools cannot access the ABS system on your truck. If you are using a generic scan tool, you really do not know if there are ABS codes or not. The fact that the light is on and the system is not functioning means there should be something stored.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah, should have mentioned the generic scan tool, especially after seeing you post the same thing in another thread .
I used a friends expensive scan tool but i believe it was generic as well. Same codes.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

My question remains: What are the most probable causes of complete ABS failure?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:04 PM
JustinF01 is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing that happened to me is the way I bleed the brakes. With ABS on the Blazer you have to bleed the farthest calliper to the closest one to the ABS system. I did it wrong the last time I did my brakes and after did it right, everything was back to normal. Just one thing to consider.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When the amber ABS light is on, it's telling you the ABS is not working. Put an ABS capable scan tool on it and retrieve the DTC's. Post them here and we can help you. Or, you can start replacing parts, eventually you'll find the bad one

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for your answer Justin and Hook. That is definatly a probable cause of ABS failure. As for those telling me to find a proper scan tool, let's just remove that option for now. I know how to pinpoint the problem, but I don't have the money to take it to the dealership, nor do I have the money for a scan tool. But I do thank you for your input.

My question is not really "how do i fix this?!?" Its more based on my immediate curiosity rather than a solution. I know the solution is a simple plug it in and find out. When I get the money to get a proper scan tool or even the money to fix it, I will. As for now, I'm just curious as to what some of the possibilities are.

And i'm not asking for anyone to waste their time giving me a 2-page list of every possibility either. Though it would be nice, it would be pointless and I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time doing all that research for nothing other than sating another man's curiosity when he's too lazy to do the research himself lol.

And again, thank you for your time.

Last edited by tsLongarms; 11-15-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 AM
P.Martin is on a distinguished road

Hello!

Had the same on my 01 Blazer. It was the Driverside Wheelsensor...
Check with Ohmmeter at frammounted Metripackconnector..
Shoud be in a Range 950-1200 Ohm (depending on Temp.)
Move Cable during Measure for discarding shorts..
( mine was short near Sensor)..easy replace...
A blown ABS Fuse would bring the amber light too...

mfg Martin

Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
SoullessNihilist is on a distinguished road

i have the same, 97' and i put in the 5speed myself. anyways i also have an ABS problem. i brought it to a garage and scanned it, i'm pretty sure every possible code came up. but i know all the parts didnt just go at once. the ABS used to work periodically until a few weeks ago. i just jumped the motor, which still works. i put 31's on it, and asked people about the ABS, the general anwser i got, was that it wont change anything. but it does say in the haynes manual the ABS system will not work if you change the tire size, unless you have it reprogrammed. also i do have power at the module. chased all the wires and there is no visual problems. i heard something about a fuse? but i didnt see anything in the fuse box for brakes or abs or any that were blown at all....

Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Starting Member
chevyblazer9588 is on a distinguished road

Check on the wheel sensors on there. Do you have good brake pressure while you driving?

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer ABS NOT working