2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 blazer engine swap oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Duckboat is on a distinguished road
Question 97 blazer engine swap oil pan question

I am swapping a 1998 4x4 engine into a 1997 2 wheel drive Blazer 2dr....everything is going good so far. I changed my engine harness and computer for the original 2WD Blazer. One concern I have is the 4WD engine has a different oil pan than the 2WD .... Can I leave the 4WD oil pan on and install in the 2WD Blazer without any problem with it fitting? If I need to change the oil pans is it as simple as swapping them or will I have to mess with the timing chain cover, oil pump or anything else? Also can I install engine and trans together as one unit?....It just seems like it would be easier than mount trans after installing engine.

Any help would be appreciated

If anyone answered this in another post it was deleted for a double posting and I could not read answers, if you answered this can you submit answer her please
Thanks

Last edited by Duckboat; 05-27-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Double posted by mistake,other post had responses but I can not see them as posting was deleted
Old 05-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only reply you received on your other thread was one stating that double posting was against forum rules.

About your question, just reuse your oil pan. The oil pan changed in 98 to the cast aluminum pan for all models. This was to increase rigidity of the engine block as well as the engine/transmission interface. Since your transmission likely does not have the full bell housing which would mate up to the back of the oil pan, you do not need to use that pan.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM

The 97 2wd does have the aluminum oil pan also.....The bell housing one 97 is the full bell housing...the 98 4wd engine I am putting in has an aluminum pan also but the dimensions are different, Can I just leave 4wd pan on 2wd blazer?....will it fit? If I need to change pans do I need to remove timing cover?.......Also can I install engine and trans bolted together as one unit?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can install it however you want. For a 2wd, it will likely be easiest with the trans on. Do not be surprised if you have to have the truck quite high off of the ground and have to tip the motor quite a bit to clear the radiator core support.

You should be able to reuse the 97 pan on the 98 engine. There should be no differences in bolting. The timing cover should not need to be removed.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Default Engine swap

Thanks for the input, I pulled the engine without the trans today.....WOW was it tight. I really would like to try and install with trans on.....any tips in doing that would help a lot. Should the rear end be a lot higher than the front end to do this?...........I think I will try and swap oil pans also. any tips on sealing so it won't leak and should I try and replace rear main seal while I am at at?

Thanks again

Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator

If you have things apart, now is the time to replace things. The rear main would definitely be on my list. As far as sealing up the oil pan. I would use some RTV in the corners of the new gasket where it meets the block/timing cover/rear seal.

As far as putting things back in with the transmission installed, you need to have a lot of room under the front so that the transmission/engine can go almost vertical and then you rotate it around into position. The problem with this is your transmission will leak all of its fluid out unless you have the slip yoke in the end of it.

I would just put the trans on after the engine is in place.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Default Transmission

Ok........I found a 2002 Chevy S 10 Xtreme Transmission 2wd with 20,000 miles on it......it has been sitting in garage for 4yrs after truck was rolled. First will it fit in 1997 blazer 2wd and should it have any issues to worry about from sitting?...........fluid was not drained.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Should bolt right up and work since you already have the cast pan.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Default Back to oil pan swap.........

I am swapping the aluminum oil pan from the 4wd pan to the 2wd....there seems to be concerns and warnings about oil pan alignment. How critical is the oil pan alignment and how can I be sure it is correct? I do not have a straight edge as they suggest using.

Thanks again