2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer Brakes pull to left - please read on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Beginning Member
F T P is on a distinguished road
Question 98 Blazer Brakes pull to left - please read on

Well kids, I'm back...
On my 98 I have replaced the power steering pump (roaring noise seems to have gone away), and I have replaced the left front hub/bearing and abs sensor. I have also replaced the right front abs sensor.
The problem...
When I come up to a stop sign the abs grabs with that wonderful pulsating tell tale grab and pulls to the left. If I pull the abs fuse the brakes work great, just like in the old days w/out all this computer stuff.
What is my next step??? (I need to know because I have 2 teen daughters that will be driving this winter!)

Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked to make sure that your right front caliper isnt frozen?? If not take the right front caliper off the rotor completely, take out the outboard pad and leave the inboard pad in, get a large c-clamp that fits over the pad and the backing of the caliper ( Open the master cylinder cover while doing this) Very slowly start to push the piston back into the caliper, Its hould go fairly easy without having to force it in... If you have to force it in its prob frozen get another one...if your feeling up to it get both fronts so they will work the same just incase the other side starts to go bad... Hope this helps ya sum~!!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
F T P is on a distinguished road

I will check that again, but I don't think that's the problem as I have done work on the right side as well and haven't noticed a problem.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for a post about low speed ABS activation. I bet there is an air gap issue with one of the front ABS sensors. It is pretty easy to check and correct, but does require the entire brake setup to be removed in order to correct the issue.. You can test the output by simply jacking up the front of the vehicle and disconnecting the ABS sensor. Connect your multimeter and set it to the mV-AC setting then connect it to the ABS sensor. Spin the wheel and the sensor should output 250-350mV-AC power. If it is below 250mV-AC, then the airgap is excessive and needs to be tightened up.