2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer - Ignition Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Beginning Member
carpboy is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer - Ignition Stuck

Key isn't stuck, easily removed. The ignition is stuck using every key I have. The wheels are centered. The only way I can get it to turn is to really yank on the steering wheel in both directions until it releases. No problem once released, all ok. What is the interlocking mechanism? Should I be looking at that aspect of it or just replace the switch? I presume the whole switch package, not just the cylinder? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member

Anybody?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
ZeroBurn is on a distinguished road

do you have any pressure on the wheels when this is happening? parked on an angle or against a curb?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry for the delay, I forgot to followup after the email notice. With the wheel totally neutral makes no difference. I've gone through three keys: Mine, wife's and wife's other key, none work. Or work well I should say. Sometime you can get the switch to turn. I recently found that racking the wheel has nothing to do with it - I can get it to operate just by jiggling the key. Then a surprising moment, a 4th virgin key was found. This one works flawlessly. The other three keys do show significant wear compared to the newly discovered key. I am wondering though if there isn't an underlying issue in the keyswitch itself, I find it odd that 3 keys would more or less all stop working at the same time.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it's time to have more keys made. It is possible that the wear on the three keys that get used somewhat frequently have also resulted in wear in the cylinder. The unused key hits on the tumblers properly, unlocking the cylinder & allowing it to rotate. I would bet that sooner or later, even fresh keys will start to have problems and the cylinder will have to be replaced.

This doesn't sound like an ignition switch problem or a problem with any interlocks to me.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

Thx Swartlkk. Hopefully things will last some time. But if it is a tumbler, short of picking the switch apart but by bit to fix the offending tumbler, it essentially a switch problem, no?

Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ignition switch is completely separate from the ignition lock cylinder.

The switch only controls the contacts inside for connecting/disconnecting circuits in relation to the cylinder position and has nothing to prohibit the movement of the cylinder. With that said,a rather severe problem with the switch itself could prohibit the rotation of the lock cylinder, but if that were to happen, it wouldn't correct itself depending on the key used.

My thought is that your ignition lock cylinder has worn along with the keys. While it works now with the fresh key, it may not work for long. You can purchase a new lock cylinder for ~$30. Some lock smiths and dealerships who remember how can re-key it so you don't have to carry two keys (one for the door & one for the ignition).

Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I thought it all was one component. We'll see how long it lasts - I got 3 new keys form the dealer and they all work well. I wasn't looking forward to pulling the ignition apart.