2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Spootie is on a distinguished road
Question 98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.

Ok, here's the deal. A while back, the odometer (digital) was acting up, and going crazy while driving (random numbers, partial numbers, flashing on/off). I could usually make it work right, if I pressed DOWN on the dashboard (figured it might be a bad ground). About 2 days ago, all the warning lights, and tach started going nuts, and the odometer stopped displaying numbers, and instead shows ERROR (when it displays, as the flashing odometer area still happens).

Now, the dash lights have calmed down, and act like normal, but odometer displays ERROR (once again that area still flashes and has partial display at times).

I do not know if this is a bad ground, loose plug/wire, or if it's a computer malfunction, and is about to go out. I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thank you in advance.

Keep in mind, I live on some of the worst rural roads in Oklahoma. Drive them daily.

Vehicle drove, and continues to drive fine (no missing/bucking/bogging).

Last edited by Spootie; 01-23-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Got solder skills and a magnifying glass?

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...fixed**-16911/

Disclaimer: Note that I'm not pointing there because that exact fix will solve the op's problems. Because cold solder joints in the dash cluster boards are not uncommon. Check it out good, from your descrition you may have more than one.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-23-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

I'll have to tear it apart this weekend, if weather permits. If nothing else, I'll hit up a pull-a-part, and hope for the best. TY for info. I'll let ya' know how it goes.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Ok, took your advice, and pulled dash apart, and inspected the solder-points on the instrument cluster. I found no bad or broken solder-points. I went over it very meticulously, but found none. I figured I might as well do what I could, and cleaned off the pins of all the connectors to my dials and such. Seems to have worked....a bit. It no longer flashes, but my odometer is still reading error, but my trip meter works fine. I have a few pictures that I will attach if I can figure out how.

BTW, in the photos, the service light is on, and so is abs light. Computer diag says it's my o2, or cat/conv on service light, and no signal on pass-front wheel speed sensor. (fyi)

Attached Thumbnails 98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.-dash_full_odometer.jpg   98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.-dash_full_trip.jpg   98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.-dash_speed_odom.jpg   98 Blazer, instrument cluster issues.-dash_speed_odom_neg.jpg  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spootie
Ok, took your advice, and pulled dash apart, and inspected the solder-points on the instrument cluster. I found no bad or broken solder-points. I went over it very meticulously, but found none. I figured I might as well do what I could, and cleaned off the pins of all the connectors to my dials and such. Seems to have worked....a bit. It no longer flashes, but my odometer is still reading error, but my trip meter works fine. I have a few pictures that I will attach if I can figure out how.

BTW, in the photos, the service light is on, and so is abs light. Computer diag says it's my o2, or cat/conv on service light, and no signal on pass-front wheel speed sensor. (fyi)
You're new spootie, BE SPECIFIC we want codes not definitions. It makes a difference. And btw, all car forums are the same.. no sense in chasing false leads.

As to odo 'error' it's not surprising. If there's a problem on that board, chances are flash memory where mileage is stored is corrupted. How to reset it? no idea. other than change the cluster. I bet the dealer can.. but may end up being bad anyway.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:00 AM

I wasn't specific about the codes, because I wasn't asking about the codes. They've been there LONG before the cluster had issues, and I check them from time to time when I go to o'reily's. As for instrument cluster, I suppose I can grab one in a salvage yard. Thanks.