2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer needs your advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013 | 11:00 AM
|
lefty807 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer needs your advice

I have a ’98 Blazer LT 4x4, with the 4.3 V6, just acquiredthe vehicle about a month ago. The symptom is this; from a cold start, the truck starts just fine, and runs well too. When it gets to operatingtemperature, I sometimes get a whiff of antifreeze, but not every time. Thebiggest issue is when I try to restart the truck when it is warmed up, it takesexcessive cranking to get it going, but it does start and run fine.

I have read many threads on the common intake manifoldgasket failure here on this forum and have looked to see if in fact there is aleak from the obvious places, but so far have not found any leaks, no coolantin the oil and no oil in the radiator.

Is it possible that coolant is leaking inside, maybe gettingin the firing chamber causing the excessive cranking on a warm engine? The tailpipe is dry, no black mud or sticky debris that I can see there.

The check engine light is not on during operation of thevehicle, just the occasional air bag light, but it turns off after a while

So what do you guys think.. manifold gasket, head gasket orsomething worse?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2013 | 01:29 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to '2nd Gen Tech'*

Old 04-05-2013 | 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have you taken out the spark plugs? that would be the best insight into the cylinders.
when you smell coolant are you in or out of the truck?
when my gasket went i had coolant in the valley between the manifold and the valve covers...it never left any coolant on the ground though, it leaked slowly enough for the coolant to bake off and give the smell of coolant. i would check those areas and see if they are dry.

Old 04-05-2013 | 04:12 PM
|

I have not yet pulled the plugs but had planned on doing that this weekend. The coolant smell is both inside and out. Strange thing though, the aroma only stays around for a few minutes, then it's gone but i cant tell where it is coming from. Had also planned on by-passing the heater to eliminate that as a cause.
Thanks for the reply as I have been pulling my hair out trying to find where it's leaking from.

Old 04-09-2013 | 06:02 PM
|

Okay, you were correct with your location of the leak.. Passenger side front in the valley by the valve cover. Next question is;
Can any of you guys in this forum recommend a quality shop in east tennessee? I could probably do it myself if I had the time and the right tools, but unfortunately at this time I do not. I am fairly new to this area and have not yet had an opportunity to locate a good, reputable shop.
Again, any advice of where I might take it for repair?