2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer runs better with plug wires out of order

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Fishin_Freak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Blazer runs better with plug wires out of order

Can anyone tell me why my truck runs like crap when wires 1 and 3 are wired correctly and runs great when they are swapped? I replaced the distrib, rotor, wires, pcv, and filters this morning, now I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
Colby 04 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like your distributor might be one tooth off from being correct. Put the wires back to the correct configuration and then try moving the distributor one tooth over either direction. Everything else you installed is pretty fail safe.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the reply Colby. The new cap is EXACTLY like the old one.

Sorry, Colby, I misread your post. I should take the distributor out and move it one tooth left or right?

Why would I need to do this if the old cap and rotor matched up just like the old one? I'm not a pro, so sorry if this is a stupid question...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the distributor is off a tooth, P1345 would set and the SES light would come on.

Here is the correct way to wire the cap:

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-19-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Fishin_Freak
Thanks for the reply Colby. The new cap is EXACTLY like the old one.

Sorry, Colby, I misread your post. I should take the distributor out and move it one tooth left or right?

Why would I need to do this if the old cap and rotor matched up just like the old one? I'm not a pro, so sorry if this is a stupid question...
You said you replaced the distributor? If you replaced the DISTRIBUTOR then you might have installed it a tooth off. If you replaced just the distributor CAP then don't mess with the distributor. There is some confusion as to what you actually replaced

Originally Posted by Fishin_Freak
Can anyone tell me why my truck runs like crap when wires 1 and 3 are wired correctly and runs great when they are swapped? I replaced the distrib, rotor, wires, pcv, and filters this morning, now I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 PM

My bad! I did not replace the distributor, just the cap and rotor. I've checked the wires and have the order correct. Why do you think it would idle so smooth and be so responsive to the gas with the 1 and 3 wires swapped?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So you have your wires hooked up so that it is 1, 3, 5 from front to back on the driver side of the distributor cap? And this runs better than 3, 1, 5 which is the standard configuration? I think you need to check things over again and make sure of how you have them routed. I have hooked them up 1, 3, 5 before and had it run like junk.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member

Something doesn't sound right about that.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Was that directed at my reply? If so, what does not sound right?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Was that directed at my reply? If so, what does not sound right?
Nope, I would have quoted you if that was the case Just posting additional info to help the OP

Quick Reply: 98 Blazer runs better with plug wires out of order