2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer stalling...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
missaero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Blazer stalling...

All,
My blazer has been running really well for the last few months since I last had troubles (bad CAT). I took a trip to DC this weekend and got caught up in heavy traffic for about an hour. It was hot out (90ish) and we were going nowhere fast. Suddenly my blazer stalled. No warnings... just like someone turned off the truck. I restarted and figured it was just a fluke. Not so. I was pulling out of one lane and about to accelerate into another when it happened again. This subsided when traffic lightened somewhat and was gone for the last few miles into town when I was continuously moving. Once I got into the DC grid, the stalling happened again when I was pulling away from lights etc and it even happened when I was moving through the parking lot. After leaving the vehicle sitting for several hours, I returned and had no problems on the drive home (>200 miles with stops for bathroom and gas).

Any thoughts on this? Seems a bit bizzare.

History: replaced ICM in March, new fuel pump and cat in April.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

when you installed the icm did you apply thermal grease to the back of it?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What brand of fuel pump did you install? Any other symptoms when the stall occurs (lights flash, dash going dead, etc)?

When was the last time a complete tune up and general maintenance was done? Have you cleaned the EGR valve and/or throttle body (both may cause stalling when coming to a stop)?

Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member

Ah sorry. Failed to mention that she had a tune up in April. The EGR valve in there was dicy also so I replaced that in April. I also gave the throttle body a clean then also. When she dies, all the dash lights flash on then go off leaving just the battery in use sign on. Not sure on the brand of the fuel pump as I had someone else take care of that for me but I am fairly sure it was not AC Delco. I was leaning toward it not being the pump since she ran great on the interstate today with no problems.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The flashing dash lights may point at a faulty ignition switch. Do you get the security light on the dash right after it comes back?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member

I can't recall if that light showed up or not. It is really weird since this only happened when it was 90 out and I was in traffic. I made it all the way home (>200 miles) including stops and have not had the problem reoccur. I've been driving around town without problems today so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the problem could be. I've heard the ICM can be a culprit when heat is involved - maybe I got a weak one? Can it be tested at Autozone/Advance Auto?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

It can be tested, make sure they test it several times in a row to get it hot