2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer swap:issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM
geffert is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer swap:issues

Hi all,
I'm having issues getting this new motor running decent enough to drive.
Quick history is my son bought a 98 Blazer and 45 days after purchase blew something in the bottom end. He has no money nor do I so I told him I would try a swap, though I've never taken on a job like this and will never again !
Anyway I set the timing up many times and many ways and I am sitting with a car that will idle but misfires during idle. I'm not sure if I'm on the right timing mark and the service engine light comes on intermittently.
Currently I'm set up on the second timing mark on the harmonic pulley being matched with the "V" on the timing cover plate and the rotor on "6" of the dist body.
Not sure if I should pull dist again and try first timing mark or if I have a sensor somewhere causing me problems.
I can't help but think I still have a timing issue but who knows. I've spent way to much time trying to move the gear in dist with screwdriver.
Any help would be great.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are a tooth off. Use the EDI Engine Timing thread found in the Tech Article (DIY) Index link in my signature below.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Smile

Thanks,
Especially all your prior posts. I would have never have gotten as far as I have except when I'd get stuck I'd get on this forum and many times you were explaining exactly something I was working on.
I will give it a try didn't you have a post with pictures showing the marks on timing cover and pulley labeled 1-4 ? I haven't been able to find that now that I need it.
So I should stay with the timing marks matched up as they are with # 1 at compression and set distributor rotor to be a tooth before or a tooth after the 6 imprinted on the dist ? any guess which way most likely to fix ? Just move the oil pump screw a little one way or the other like I have been doing right ?
I'm bumming !! Really thought with the holiday and the weekend,I was gonna be able to get the kid back in his car tomorrow. Oh well, close but no cigar as they say. Thanks again !!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

quick search for edi engine timing in the diy forum give the link kyle is talking about and the pictures you are speaking of. here it is.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...+Engine+Timing

Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM

Got the truck running. I'm like some kind of "folk hero" around the house now since I was able to pull this off. I tried going backwards by a tooth and the car ran better with no misfiring but when I took it up the street it had no power. Then the best as I can tell I set it back up pointing at the 6 top dead center where it was backfiring before and it started and purred like a kitten. Took it for a ride and felt great so I'm kinda baffled unless like you mentioned maybe because I had done this so many times I did have the plug wires crossed up that first time. The good news is I'm up and running with a fresh 63,000 mile motor in a 98 that will hopefully get my boy through till graduation. What about timing ? should I put a light on it and check it out or if it seems to be running OK just call it good ? I don't want to be replacing the motor cause the timing was off and I overheat something ! Am I done or are there still things any of you would recommend before I pass it off to speed racer. Once he has it back I'm not likely to get it back anytime soon to adress any issues. Thanks for all your help !!!! John

Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Timing is not really adjustable beyond a tooth at a time so you don't have anything to worry about there.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Default Coolant temp 118 ?

my son took the car out for a short ride and the service engine soon came back on. Thank goodness he had the prior codes cleared.
anyway the code was coolant tempeture 118. Does this set a service engine ? I have been having problems with his heat after the swap. No heat. I tried jacking the front up today and running for a half hr w cap off as recommended on the DIY page.
I'm in MA and its very cold, I made up coolant w water could it be the temp is too cold ? also my fan is running all the time is it suppose to. 98 blazer. I'm pretty sure it's suppose to cycle on and off w engine temp but I'm not sure how the blazer is done. Maybe the fact that the fan is on all the time the coolant temp sens is acting funny ? The analog gauge in the cab is reading half scale so its warming up and it is a new temp sensor in the block as I cracked the old one during the enginge swap. any help or pointers would be great. Thankyou John

Old 12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator

P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature [ECT] Sensor Circuit High Voltage

The fan is driven by a thermo-viscous clutch. Even when not locked up, there is enough drag to make the fan spin.