2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 won't start or even make a clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 PM
sedwards5390 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 won't start or even make a clicking sound

I have a '98 blazer 4wd that seems to be having everything go wrong lately. We recently took off the dashboard to see if there was a wire loose because my fog lights weren't working and my headlights wouldn't turn on manually anymore after i swear we checked all the fuses. No wires ended up being loose and it WAS somehow a fuse that we overlooked. While TRYING to get the dashboard back in, which we still haven't, the headlights stopped working all together. I tried to start the truck but it wouldn't do anything, no lights came on, it didn't click or anything. Then, when I went to take the key out, it wouldn't come out and locked in the acc position where it stayed for two weeks.
A few days ago we took out the whole steering column to have it looked at which lead to it having to be pretty much completely taken apart and put back together, somewhere in that the guy got the key out and everything seemed to work fine with the column. So, we put the column back in try to start it but nothing still. We figured maybe it's because the battery is completely dead, being in the acc position for 2 weeks. Since jumping the battery wasn't going to be enough we took it to be charged. After it being charge for a few hours we hooked it back up and everything seemed fine, all the lights come on and everything. But it still won't start, the fuel pump comes on but it still won't even click. Now I'm out of ideas other than the starter. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, I'm just really lost. I'm sorry for writing suck a long post here but i felt like i should do my best to explain everything.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by checking for voltage to the starter solenoid trigger wire (small wire at the starter) with a multimeter. This should have battery voltage when the key is turned to the 'start' position.

While you are there, monitor the voltage to the main terminal on the starter. It should remain close to battery voltage while cranking. If you do not have voltage on the main terminal, then the fusible link inside the main positive battery cable is shot.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

First, try taping the starter with a hammer (don't smash it). Make sure that the wires to the starter are clean and in good condition and on tightly (careful not to pull too hard or twist and break small wire). If it starts, you may (maybe) have a starter that's going bad.

Sed, if you have to change the starter, you have to remove the exhaust from the manifold. make sure you use a 5 point socket, 2 long extension with swivel and get as straight an angle as you can to get to the top one (don't strip the manifold bolt/s). You will be working in a tight spot. Good luck!

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-28-2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 AM
toyblazervt is on a distinguished road

Make sure your in park or netural. If there in either one then make sure the wire that goes from the shifter to the ignition is intacked and connected. I've seen this a few times to where the dash panel has been removed and wire was disconnected.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do not have to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold to change the starter, but it can make it easier. But don't try finding a 5-point socket!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
sedwards5390 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, all though none of that really makes sense to me. My cousin's the one that's been working on it, he's the mechanic. I'll let him know and hope HE knows what that means and can fix it, I really miss driving my blazer.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Starting Member
jenbear732001 is on a distinguished road

I have a 1995 blazer that wont start every now and then. Turn the key over and it does nothing. all the dash lights come on. No clicking or anything. Hit the starter with a hammer still nothing. I even pushed it 2 feet to see if that would work. Put it in neutral to start did the same thing. Nothing. Battery is good, and has a brand new fuel pump. It did this 3 weeks ago, and I put it in neutral, then park and it started. Tried that today nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is the only vehicle I have to get around in.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
steelrfn is an unknown quantity at this point

Jennbear I would post a new thread with your issue, more people will see it than if you tack it on to this one.
That being said, I had the same problem with one of my blazers, try removing and cleaning the battery leads and then reconnect them nice and tight, one of mine was corroded so even though the battery was charged it wouldn't start the truck sometimes.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM
SHEEVES is on a distinguished road

i have a few tests for you...
first if it is an auto trans turn the key on and jiggle the shifter around while keeping it in park see if it cranks

the other test is a little more dangerous make sure the key is off. make sure the veh is in park. then jump the battery terminal on the starter (the big red one) to the start terminal on the starter (the little red one) see if it cranks if it does not this means that the problem is the main fuze in the in the battery to starter wire or a problem with the key switch.

i would guess key switch since it was stuck in acc for 2 weeks.