2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer 4.3 v-6 no start - column question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The BCM checks for the proper key, (via the sensor) on each start up. The key sensor is part of the ignition lock housing. If the BCM does not recognize the key that's in the lock cylinder, or no response is received by the BCM, the BCM does not send the "fuel enable" message to the PCM. Without the "fuel enable" message, the engine will start and run for approximately 2-3 seconds, the PCM shuts off the injectors, and the engine stalls out.

Swap your original ignition lock cylinder back into the lock cylinder housing in the new column. If all goes right, the sensor in your new column will send your original key data to the BCM. The BCM should recognize it and send the "fuel enable" message to the PCM.

EDIT: Probably best to totally eliminate the remote start stuff, all of it.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 12-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Beginning Member
trapperdog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The BCM checks for the proper key, (via the sensor) on each start up. The key sensor is part of the ignition lock housing. If the BCM does not recognize the key that's in the lock cylinder, or no response is received by the BCM, the BCM does not send the "fuel enable" message to the PCM. Without the "fuel enable" message, the engine will start and run for approximately 2-3 seconds, the PCM shuts off the injectors, and the engine stalls out.

Swap your original ignition lock cylinder back into the lock cylinder housing in the new column. If all goes right, the sensor in your new column will send your original key data to the BCM. The BCM should recognize it and send the "fuel enable" message to the PCM.

EDIT: Probably best to totally eliminate the remote start stuff, all of it.

thank you so much -- i will swap out tumblers today hopefully it will take ? i would rather NOT hook up that other sheet --

also i just cut wires from old column and left crap from auto start junk there -- would i be better off removing it completely -- is it possible the bcm is recognizing it ? i will try tumbler swap first !!!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I'd get rid of all of it and repair connections as necessary using solder and heat shrink tubing. Passlock is a very complex & secure system, (moreso than any other aftermarket system). It must be working properly, or correctly disabled, or it could very well leave you stranded somewhere.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Personally, I'd get rid of all of it and repair connections as necessary using solder and heat shrink tubing. Passlock is a very complex & secure system, (moreso than any other aftermarket system). It must be working properly, or correctly disabled, or it could very well leave you stranded somewhere.

after REMOVING auto start b/s and re-programming old tumbler -- same thing starts/dies -- so i unhooked positive from battery for fifteen minutes -- put tumbler back in that came with column - re-programmed passlock and it took runs great like it did before -- thank you sooooo much for the help !!!!!

Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Beginning Member

oh 1 more question if anyone knows this --- if i go get an extra key cut do i have to get 2 ? and does the passlock system have to be reprogrammed with new keys ? i would assume but do not know for sure thank you

Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Read the first paragraph of post #11 again. Yes, the BCM must be programmed to recognize each additional key. Check the owners manual, it should explain the steps, or do a Google search.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Starting Member
tparker is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 blazer no crank no start

does anyone know if the passlock system on these cars disables the starter or just the fuel pump?

thanks its stuck in a parking lot now

Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Fuel injectors only. Not the fuel pump or the starter. If Passlock is preventing the engine from running, it will turn on the SECURITY light on the dash. No light, not a Passlock problem.