2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 Blazer ABS light came on, time to take it in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
my2k2zx2 is on a distinguished road
Default '99 Blazer ABS light came on, time to take it in?

My wife's ABS light came on today in her '99 Blazer. (55k miles)

The thing is that the ABS works fine until about 15-20mph. That's when the light comes on and the abs no longer works.

We had both wheel bearings replaced about 2-3 years ago. The ABS sensors are part of those bearings, right?

We took a long trip over the weekend w/o any problems, through whiteout snow with the 4wd on. Never had a problem.

Now that it's sunny out, the abs light decides to come on.

Time to take it in or is there something we can do?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

sounds simple but is brake res. full? tripped my light once...felt like i should have got that one.

the sensors are on the back of the hub bearing. they can be removed and cleaned.
corrosion causes them to become somewhat displaced and they are touchy.
do a search on them ....lots of abs schtuff on here... i know i have had lots of fun with them.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, the brake fluid is full, well about 1/4" from the top.

I had that issue in my Ford ZX2, brake fluid was just low enough if I accelerated fast enough I could trip the light until my speed leveled out, then it would go off.

Ground is too sloppy to get under there at the moment. The Blazer is due for an oil change so I guess they can look at it while it's up on the hoist.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member

Decided to try something and it seems to have worked, well for now. Took the Blazer to the car wash and got the underbody flush. Turned the vehicle off in the bay while the car wash did it's thing. Turned it back on and have yet to see the light come back on. Tested the brakes at 30mph on a snow/ice covered sideroad and the abs worked until the vehicle stopped.

Could driving in the slop over the weekend interfere with the sensor working and the car wash cleaned it out?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the code read should give you direction as to the cause of the problem. I'm thinking you have a front speed sensor fault either in the sensor itself or in the wiring.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

Yup, taking it in to get loooked at on Friday.

Drove it all day yesterday withoug the light coming on. ABS worked at all speeds, no issues.

Drove it to day and it came on the way home from work.

Hopefully it's something simple, like the sensor needing a good cleaning.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

good luck keep us posted.

does sound like faulty sensor / wire

Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member

Does the light have to be on for the shop to figure out what the issue is?

Drove it all day today w/o the light coming on.

Will there be a trouble code stored they can pull and see what's going on?

Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran

i think the computer stores the info same as the main computer. i know when i had mine read there were several codes...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

you do know your brakes will work fine without abs right? alot of people disable them on purpose. you do have more braking power, but on ice youll get kicked sideways real fast lol

Quick Reply: '99 Blazer ABS light came on, time to take it in?