2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer Engine Swap ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Question 99 Blazer Engine Swap ???

In need a shortblock for my 99 Blazer since it spun a rod bearing.

I need to know if the Vortec Heads and Intake (off my 99) will bolt on a 1994 shortblock ?

What other year shortblocks can I use for my 99 Vortec Heads and Intake ?

Are there any issues I need to be aware of ?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe your heads will bolt onto the older block, but you really should try to locate a block from a 96 thru 01 truck for pain free bolt in.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Starting Member
Question

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I believe your heads will bolt onto the older block, but you really should try to locate a block from a 96 thru 01 truck for pain free bolt in.
Roger that. What about 2002-2004 blocks ?

I know there is an issue with the knock sensor mounting. I will post a separate thread on that question.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Starting Member
Question

I need to find a used engine for my 99 Blazer.

My research tells me that 99-00 use the same knock sensor/mounting.

Starting in 2001-2004 the knock sensor mounting is different. Something about the mounting boss is different.

Can someone explain (in detail) just what exactly is different ?

Can the 01-04 mounting boss be modified to accept a 99-00 knock sensor ????

Anyone have pics ??

What years 4.3s used the...

A) Bolt-in, 2-wire Knock sensors and which years used the...

b) Screw-in, 1-Wire knock sensors ?

What type is in my 99 Blazer ???

Originally Posted by cc4usa
the heads on my 2000 still have 2 screw in plugs for the spark knock sensors that my 95 has.

the 2000 has a coolant temp sensor in the left head the right head has a plug in it instead of a knock sensor and the knock sensor is in the rear of the motor.
Is this correct ?????

Are 99-01s 4.3s all configured this way ?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Starting Member
Question 99 Blazer Engine Swap ???

I need to find a used engine or shortblock for my 99 Blazer. Mine spun a rod bearing the other day.

Lower mileage 4.3s are a rare find nowadays thanks to the Cash for Clunkers program.

Anyways, I know 99-01 model years are the same in all respects. I've been told that my 99 Vortec heads should bolt to earlier year blocks.

Can a 2002-2004 engine swap in ? I know there is an issue with the knock sensor, but can it be modified to accept my 99 knock sensor ??

Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your '99 is a screw in type. 1/4" NPT thread if I remember correctly.

You could look up the parts on a few websites and compare pictures...

BTW, I have combined all of your threads. Since even your first post was about getting a new motor for your truck, everything else was related and therefore were double posts.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
Question

Can a 2002-2004 engine swap in my 99 ?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Not the whole engine. You would have to use your lower intake manifold because the id-02 thru 2004 engines do not have the same EGR system. You would also have to drill/tap the block in the back for the screw in style knock sensor. Other than that, it will bolt up the same.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Starting Member
Question

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Not the whole engine. You would have to use your lower intake manifold because the id-02 thru 2004 engines do not have the same EGR system.

You would also have to drill/tap the block in the back for the screw in style knock sensor. Other than that, it will bolt up the same.
Good info.

What about the fuel injection system ?

Would I simple reuse my 99's intake and injection setup on top of an 02-04 Longblock ?

TIA

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

You can use everything from the top of your '99 motor. The only item that really needs to be from the old motor is the lower intake. Provided that the engine is the later 2002 thru end of production, the spider is commonly used as an upgrade for the '96 thru mid-02 so I would use the newer spider. Everything else is up to you. Use the parts that look the best.

Quick Reply: 99 Blazer Engine Swap ???