2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer knocking noise after major oil leak / engine seizure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 PM
djc04 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer knocking noise after major oil leak / engine seizure

Hi,
My 99 blazer is making this noise after i just got it back from the auto repair shop (see video)

I had a major oil leak after an auto shop replaced my oil cooler lines and valve gaskets to fix a supposed oil leak i had. A couple months later all of my oil leaked out and i was driving, car seized. Luckily i was able to get it towed back home and i immediately put oil in it, let it cool, and it started up. I dont remember hearing this knocking noise before i had it towed again to the shop, but now its making that noise and the RPMs go pretty high before i can get up to speed. My vehicle is very sluggish now, but the good news is they did fix the oil leak. I'm just wondering, is my vehicle toast and is it even safe to drive like this?
Thanks

Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Sounds toast to me. Definitely a lower end knock.
It seizing up from lack of oil wrecked your bearings.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Default Update

Weird, it was running better today i didnt even hear the knock until it warmed up and it wasnt driving all sluggish like it was yesterday. I got an oil change today, hopefully that helps a bit.
Also the knock is intermittent even when warmed up, sometimes it will appear and dissapear.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Welcome to a bad rod bearing - quiets down under a load as in gear, gets louder without a load as in coasting or neutral - As far as safe to drive if it is a rod bearing, well NO - It will run intell it stuffs the rod out the side of the block then it don't - as engine will be ruined and not rebuildable. At that poiny you will be

Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't drive that any farther than I would want to walk home... Sorry man...

Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the input. I saw a video on Youtube where a mechanic took oil pan off and replaced a spun bearing and it worked great afterwards so maybe its not as bad as it could be? Do you guys think a transmission shop would be able to fix something like that?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 PM

I've seen a lot of stupid videos on YouTube as well... At this point you don't know the extent of the damage and oil pans are not a simple job to just remove on these either. You have the options to half *** the job for a few bucks and see how many miles you can get out of it, do it right and rebuild the engine (or install a rebuilt one), V8 swap, or get a new ride...

Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 PM

FYI I've had the transmission rebuilt when i dropped it in 08 and it's been running great ever since no problems with transmission. Seems like people have this concept when you drop a transmission or spin a bearing you need a new vehicle but my vehicle is proof you don't you can get it repaired.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A rod bearing don't have a thing to do with the transmission.

And if you don't run it and jury rig it and you might be lucky and be able to get it done and it may or may not last.

The fact you seized it up states that you prob scored the crank, egged a rod, and a spun bearing usually eats the inside diamater of the rod.

Do as you wish drive it till it pukes the rod out the side of the block then say - Damn I hate when it does that.....

Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 PM

Awesome that your tranny is still going strong! You may need to reread my earlier post, but I will translate it here for you:

1) fix it wrong
2) fix it right
3) do something custom

And the last suggestion was........

4) get a different vehicle

To fix it right, you will need a machine shop to rebuild the engine. If your transmission shop has the tools and know how - go for it...

FYI, most everyone's vehicle on the site is proof you can repair and maintain them...

Quick Reply: 99 blazer knocking noise after major oil leak / engine seizure