2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Blazer stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Starting Member
lokeh is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Blazer stalling issue

Hey all, I'm new here and have had my blazer for a few years now, and it had suddenly began stalling as if it ran out of gas. When we first got it we had the engine replaced with a used engine and everything worked great minus the gas gauge not working after the replacement. Other than the oil cooler hose breaking we had no issue out of it in the first two years.

What happened was while driving it the engine shut off, no sputtering, if there was loss of power before the engine dying it was minor just seemed like the engine was shut off. We tested fuel pressure and got 60 psi which slowly dropped after shutting off engine a few psi every few minutes no major drops. We replaced the distributor cap, ignition control modulue, coil, plugs and wires. It seemed to start up and run great at this point for about a week and then it died again.. After it died it would start and you could drive 30-40 feet before it died again and then wouldn't start unless you pumped the gas to get it started.

After checking all plugs and wires again it would start and idle, rev up, but when put into drive would die after about 3 feet. After a few times of doing that it will start up if you pump gas while turning the key but then die right away. Last check it still showed 60 psi on the fuel psi with no drop off. The battery died while it was sitting because I haven't had time to work on it in a month so I'm going to replace that tomorrow and check the TPS.

All fuses were good, gas pump can be heard turning on even tested it by jumping and having the pump stay on to make sure it wasent' being shut off by a sensor. No codes showing up. When it does start and run it runs great but just suddenly dies. I am a bit strapped for cash is why I don't wanna just jump and replace the fuel pump if there's a possibility it is something else. Any insight would be great, thanks!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
Fryer, Nick is on a distinguished road

I had these same problems on my 98. I have a rebuilt Jasper 4.3 in mine and had the fuel pump replaced. I'm assuming since you've had your engine replaced that you just carried over the old sensors like I did. I had the TPS go out on mine before this started happening so I would probably say it might not be that. What happened there is it would start but it wouldn't stay idling so you would just have to 2 foot it to get it to go anywhere. I would eventually fix itself down the road but I was just a pain in the ***.

Mine would stall randomly and I wouldn't even notice it. What we did was replaced the EGR valve and the MAP sensor. They had gotten pretty gunked up. It was only a little over $60 for the two of them so its not ridicules. I haven't had a problem since. They're easy to replace so its worth a shot I guess. There are vidoes online on how to clean these too in case you don't want to spend the money on new ones.

Hope that helps!