2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 chevy blazer wont start after replaced timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM
shockley84 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 chevy blazer wont start after replaced timing chain

Bought a 99 blazer has the 4.3 vortec .so when I bought it I was told it needed a timing chain put in it so I went ahead and tore it down and put the timing chain and the gears in it put it back together and it wouldn't start .so I called a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he told me to find tdc and pull the dist. And set it to number one and put. It back in ..after reading a few forums on here figured I missed a few things ,did all the things swartlkk listed in his post and followed all his steps plus the illustrations and it still won't start ..acts like it wants to but won't...have I maybe got this thing to far out iof time ..is that possible or have I missed something? Any input would b greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it is timed correctly? Just a little bit off and it will have the symptoms you are having.
Also make sure you are getting fuel into the combustion chambers.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM

I dont know if its timed correctly or not when I put the gears in I made air both my arrows lined up and reset the dist..I'm gettin fuel I can smell it ..and it backfired thru the throttle body ..as far as it being timed right I don't think it is ..I moved my crank to my notches 1,was at 1 o'clock the other at 5 ..heard the air come out if the chamber reset the dist at number one or the # 6 on the dist witch I'm told is placement for number one ..beginning to think the dist is bad or maybe the icm haven't replaced either one yet ..but its got me scratching my head ..I think I may have some how got the timing outta wack,its been turned over with the dist out ..don't know if that's bad or if u. Can get them to far out ..?? And thank u for such a quick response!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the timing chain is one tooth off. I always make sure to rotate the engine through one complete revolution of the cam to ensure that the timing marks line up again.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 PM

I was thinking that could b the problem ..cause I didnt rotate it twice..il tear it down again and try once more..thanks swartkl appreciate it..

Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member
chevygonzalez is on a distinguished road

I'm concerned with the part where you said you can smell the gasoline. How strong is the smell? It can be a sign of a leak which lowers your fuel pressure or a leak in the intake manifold. I'd like for swartlkk or anyone to tell me if the 4.3 engines are interferance engines, meaning that when the timing chain breaks or gets too lose or stretched, can the pistons hit and bend the valves. In non-interfearance engines, this doesn't happen. One must be carefull with interfarance engines when installing and setting the timing chain which is connected with the cam and crank, thus the valves.

Last edited by chevygonzalez; 12-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Non-interference.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Ok so I tore it down again and it did look like it was off a tooth so I re set it put everything back together and it turns over but won't hit and its not back firing any more just turns over and over..could it b the dist.not sending spark ?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Any ideas ?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

You may need to move your distributor back where it was.

Quick Reply: 99 chevy blazer wont start after replaced timing chain