2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 chevy blazer wont start after replaced timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you re-time the distributor per the instructions in the Tech Article (DIY) section?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
shockley84 is on a distinguished road

Ok so I put it back in at the number 6 is that right ..or should I point the rotor at number one on the dist cap ?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The '6' in the distributor base actually corresponds with the #1 post inside the cap. Not to be confused with the location of the #1 spark plug wire terminal in the cap.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Do I need to pull the distributor out when finding tdc..and. then put the dist at the number 6 ..cause I dint ..and before when the chain was off a tooth it would only just barely shoot any air out now it will blow you're finger off as it should ..so now I know its got the right compresion but I'm worried cause its not backfiring like it was when I put my dist in ..it was dead on the number 6 and I tried to turn it over and it acted like it did. Before I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and after I put everything ba'k together this time I noticed the number 3 and the number 1 spark plug wires were mixed up when I was turning it over ..so do I new# to find tdc again and reset the dist or is the problem deeper yet ? Also when I pulled the harmonic balencer the outer ring tried to come off ..could this b throwing my tdc off ? I put it rite back togeter and it dint look like i5 had moved bug the rubber seal does have a dimple in it .

Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Administrator

You do not need to remove the distributor to find tdc #1 on the compression stroke.

Having the outer ring move could DEFINITELY throw off the distributor timing procedure! If the ring is moving, replace the balancer. Then re-time the distributor.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 PM

Still haven't figured put the problem with it ..is it possible to get it to far outta time cause im afraid I have ?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

One tooth off is too far out of time.

I would start by replacing your balancer. Then see if you can get it timed properly again.