2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:13 PM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS issue

A few years back I replaced a broken off lug stud. In the process I think I screwed up the ABS wheel sensor. After that, the ABS would come on often at low speeds, rolling up to stop signs, backing out of the driveway and such. After that happening for a few years (I never did anything about it) the ABS quit working all together and the ABS light came on. I have been without ABS for at least a couple years now. I never wanted to spend the money to fix them, and figured I would go without. I decided it would be nice to have ABS again for the Iowa snowy winters and thought i would see how much it would cost to get them going again. I was thinking it is probably just the computer control module. Maybe from it constantly activating, it just wore out. Just wondering what some other peoples thoughts on this was. I don't want to spend $300.00 on a new module if that's not the problem. I used a scan tool to check an engine code one time and brought up the abs codes too. There was a whole long list of ABS codes. I didn't really pay much attention to what they were, because I didn't plan on doing anything about it. Maybe I should go check the codes again, just to see what they say. Another thing is that it's a ZR2. Looking around at parts, it looks like the ZR2 uses a different module. Does anyone know if this is the case? I was thinking I could swap the unit with the one in my S10 just to see if it works with that one. It is 2wd 2.2 though, so I don't think that one will work in my 4x4 ZR2. Thanks for any input.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

ABS activation at low speed is a well known issue, and it does NOT set a DTC in memory. This GM TSB explains how to diagnose and repair it: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/GM...s_bulletin.pdf

As for the other ABS issues you're experiencing, it would be best to repair the low speed activation issue first, then clear all DTC's from memory. Drive it for a few days and retrieve the DTC's. Post them here in the order they are retrieved.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:09 PM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fixing the low speed speed issue is a problem seeing as the ABS quit working all together. That's why I'm saying I think the issue of it activating constantly cause the module to "burn out" if that is possible. I assumed the low speed issue was from the wheel speed sensor getting damaged when I replaced the wheel stud, because it started doing it right after that job. I thought I would start by replacing the module, but they are a little pricey, and I'm not positive there is anything wrong with it.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

get a used one from a scrap yard.. But yes you should post the codes here as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on Blazer forum