2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
swd1978 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS Issues

Hi guys..I have a 1995 blazer There is no abs light on in the dash but when i stop on wet roads the abs kicks in at low speed and makes it stop like you are on ice and shouldn't be doing this, I herd that cleaning the speed senors might fix this but I don't know what to use or where to apply the cleaner any help would be appreciated on how to do this,also any other suggestions what could be causing my abs to act up like this would help too. Thanks for your time.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swd1978
Hi guys..I have a 1995 blazer There is no abs light on in the dash but when i stop on wet roads the abs kicks in at low speed and makes it stop like you are on ice and shouldn't be doing this,
Why do you think it shouldnt be doing that?
How's your tire tread condition?
Have you checked your brakes recently?
- Esp rear drum can grab if seal or brake cyl leaks
I herd that cleaning the speed senors might fix this but I don't know what to use or where to apply the cleaner any help would be appreciated on how to do this,also any other suggestions what could be causing my abs to act up like this would help too. Thanks for your time.
I'm pretty sure your abs is fine. If the speed sensors have a problem it usually manifests on dry pavement or while simply driving.
- COULD have bad axle or hub bearing I suppose.

Here's a thought... what about next time it rains find a spot where it does that, then pull the ABS fuse and stop exactly the same. See if you have tire skid.
ANOTHER thought.. this wouldnt be happening mainly at intersections where pavement is painted would it?

If that's it.. then fuggedaboudit!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem, one of my front sensor wire was damaged, i re-soldered it and its fine.
also check for dirt/corrosion build-up between hub and abs sensor. if there is some dirt, it will change the distance between the sensor and the ring inside, indicating a slipy condition and activating abs brakes.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_guy1997 is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,
I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer 2-door 4x4 and I too have been experiencing an intermittent ABS light. The light would come on randomly but, doesn’t affect drivability. I have the old design ABS Sensors that are attached to the dust shield behind the front brake rotors. I found that metallic particles where attracted to the magnetic ABS sensor from the Semi Metallic brake pads I was using. I cleaned the sensors with brake cleaner and upgraded the brake pads to a better mid-grade pad. This blazer calls for semi-metallic. The ABS light stayed out for about a week and now is starting to randomly come on again. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Maybe the sensors need replaced? The driver side looks to have been replaced not too long ago.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 98blazin
i had the same problem, one of my front sensor wire was damaged, i re-soldered it and its fine.
also check for dirt/corrosion build-up between hub and abs sensor. if there is some dirt, it will change the distance between the sensor and the ring inside, indicating a slipy condition and activating abs brakes.
Yeah, what he said. This should be your first step...it is a Chevrolet after all (electrical anything is bad with a Blazer). I drove for years with faulty ABS sensors, that would cause my brakes to convulse and not allow me to apply them! It was the wires on my passenger side. Then, sensor fail a while later...same symptoms. Scary, right? YEAH! Actually, the final straw for my 98'! I was driving, a VW stopped short, so I put on my brakes...HARD PEDAL! I was going 45, blew through a stop light after swerving to avoid buying a jetta, almost took out a Dodge Ram (hemi), put it up on two wheels, and almost got t-boned by a Chrysler K-car!!!

If all else fails (and you have no $$$), do what I did (pettyfog), and unplug your ABS fuse from under the hood. If the sensor is bad, there is no other option, other than replacing the front end components (I got quoted 700 in 2008!)

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
98blazin is on a distinguished road

you can get 2 hubs/with sensors on ebay for 100$ shipped.
thats what im doing next !