General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS and braking issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 PM
stavendirtbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and braking issues

I got a 2000 Blazer 4x4 6 cyl. Almost 100% of the time, when coming to a normal stop, at about 5 mph, while braking, the abs kicks in and the pedal becomes erratic. There is no ABS light on. I've researched this problem a bit and it seems common among the s10 and blazer. Many people have found the wheel speed sensors to be at fault. Now here is the wierd thing. NAPA offers wheel speed sensors for my blazer. They even confirmed that it was definetly for this truck by looking at the VIN number. Check this out NAPA - Speed Sensor
That is the sensor that NAPA claims is certainly for this 2000 Blazer. They aren't wrong because even the local Advance Auto Parts and Autozone offer the same looking sensor. The sensor, that goes in the front hubs on the blazer, look nothing like the sensor NAPA offers. The sensors looks like this eBay - Speed Sensor
The sensor bolts in the hub, and the connector connects at the top of the frame rail. So why are all these parts stores offering a completely different looking sensor? Am I looking in the wrong place? Also, if anyone knows exactly what is causing this problem other than a faulty wheel speed sensor, let me know. I am just assuming it will be the sensors.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed your LONG links. Try to use hidden links in the future.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ABS and braking issues

Have you tried to clean the sensor or inside the hub where it goes? That is where I would start if it were mine.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
stavendirtbike is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Have you tried to clean the sensor or inside the hub where it goes? That is where I would start if it were mine.
Yes I have. I found an article relating specifically to that. It said clean the surface mounting area as it can rust. I cleaned them all well but had no luck.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Here's an article that tells you how to clean them and how to check them with a digital volt meter.
The NAPA guys must be crazy, that sensor would never fit in the hub and there's no wire connected to it.
They must have looked it up for an older buick or something....maybe it's the heat...lol

Condition
Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause
The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction
Measure AC voltage and clean wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor harness connectors.
Place a DVM across the terminals of each sensor connector.
Rotate the wheel with hand speed and measure the ACmV's. The reading should be at least 350 ACmV's.
If the reading is between 200 and 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel, caliper and rotor in order to gain access to the speed sensor.
Remove the wheel speed sensor and plug the hole to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.
Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, ScotchBriteâ„¢, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion.
Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor.
Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (Canadian P/N 89022218).
When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (Canadian P/N 993037).
Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub and secure the sensor. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub.
Install the rotor, the caliper and the wheel.
Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel by hand. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's