2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS light on at startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Dr. Tre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS light on at startup

I have a 96 blazer 4x4 4.3L 5spd - just recently the abs light has come on and stays on. i've notice no change in brake feel. I had a friend of mine scan it and it was saying to go after the front left wheel speed sensor. So I checked the wiring. Thats all intact. So I just went out and got a new sensor from GM.
I attempted to install it this evening and ran into my first snag. I couldnt even get the brake calipers off. I bought new rotors and pads cuz i figured while its apart i'll change them out as well. Cuz they don't got too much life left in them. Anyways, the calipers seem to be held on with 2 allen key type bolts. All i had in my tool box for sizes was a size 10 and size 8. 10 being too big and 8 being too small. can u guys tell me what size this is. if its a metric or imperial size?

This is my first gm product and everytime I go and work on it i just get frustrated becuase of weird things like this. I'm used to working on my chrysler vehicles

Also and I assume here. that once I get the caliper off and rotor off i'll be able to get to the speed sensor? the new part comes complete with the backing plate and everything. Or is there more disassembly involved?

And the last question is. once its replaced. do you have to have the ecu reset by disconnecting battery etc.or should it be good to go.

any help here is really appreciated.

Regards,

Tre

Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ABS light on at startup

I can help on one of your questions-no battery disconnect necessary. Once you cycle the key back on, the computer will run through and see that the sensor is now operational (if the sensor was the problem). Good luck, and post back up when you have it all finished!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Dr. Tre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ABS light on at startup

well i got the calipers off today and replaced pads and rotors cuz they needed it anyways, then found out i didn't have the right size socket to remove the axle nut in order to take the hub assembly out so i could replace the sheild/sensor assembly.

what i did notice though. that on the drive fr. side. the side the code is indicating at fault. the brakes were worn really irregular. way past the pass. side fronts.
so now im not totally convince its the wheel sensor at fault thats tripping the abs light. is there anything else that could cause these types of conditions?