2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS light on then off

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM
cntryislandboy is on a distinguished road
Default ABS light on then off

i have a 2001 4x4 and when i start it the abs light comes on, then if i just drive foward it goes off in about 2 seconds, but if have to say back out of the drive way or parking spot it stays in, then when i drive forward it goes off about 2 seconds later, i check the brake fluid and it is good. once in a while it will feel really funny when i hit the break but usually only when turning into a parking spot, it just doesn't happen all the time i will be the first to admit i am defiantly not a mechanical person, so any ideas would be great thanks, oh yeah one guy i work with said since it goes right off that it is probably no big deal

Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
cntryislandboy is on a distinguished road

wow do i feel dumb, i just found a huge discussion about this problem seems to be very common with the 01's and a little on the expensive side of things. oh yeah and i think i posted this is the wrong section, sorry.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

There are alot of people on here with 2001's that have the ABS light coming on , try using the search and typing in ABS+2001. Im sure you will find lots of info and possible ideas. Goodluck

Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Mark52010 is on a distinguished road

It could possibly be a broken or intermittent sensor wire. There is a cable on the two from wheel hubs that go from the ABS sensor on the wheel hubs to a plug connector that is under the flap of the wheel well. I also had a problem where my ABS light went on and off all the time. On my chevy blazer I found that sometimes there isn't enough slack in that cable and with all the turns the wire stretches and breaks. What I did was I took off the front wheels and examined the cable from the ABS sensor and many times I discovered it had a slight crack in it and the wires were cut inside the cable. I cut the cable and stripped back the insulation to expose the two wires. Do that to both sides (the side coming from the ABS sensor and the side going to the plug connector). Go to Radio Shack or Home Depot and buy some assorted Heat Shrink tubing. Find the Heat Shrink tubing that fits over the cable that you just cut. Slide the Heat Shrink tubing over one end of the cable you just cut. Spice the two wires that were cut back together matching color to color. Solder the spliced wires if you can and either use electrical tape or heat shrink tubing over the spliced wires. Use a lighter or matches to shrink the tubing around the wires. Once they are covered use the larger Heat Shrink tubing that you already slid over the cable and then slide it over the spliced wires to cover the two ends of the cable that was cut. Use a lighter, matches or soldering iron to shrink the tubing. Doing that made my ABS light go out and it hasn't come back on since!

Last edited by Mark52010; 01-24-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
Kemp is on a distinguished road

wow...i actuall have that exact problem on my 97. Light was on when i bought it and scanned and it was drivers side wheel speed sensor. So i looked at it and the wire itself was actually "cut". it was worn right through, I guess it was getting rubbed by the rim. I was looking at buying a new wire with the clip, but im just going to splice it, unless anyone knows where to get the wire harness cheap.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Mark52010 is on a distinguished road

I have replaced both wheel hubs on my blazer and the entire wheel hubs come with brand new ABS sensors as well as a new harness. Splicing the cut wires did work for me, but try to get some heat shrink tubing from either Home Depot or Radio Shack and use that to resplice the wires and seal the connections instead of using electrical tape. It will last alot longer! Eventually the electrical tape will get wet and corroded and you will have the same problem. If you know how to use a soldering iron, solder the spliced wires together as well before using the heat shrink tubing! Good luck! If you want to replace the sensor and the harness you can get them from most auto part stores. The sensor is held on by one screw and all you have to do is take off the brackets that hold the harness in place. Follow the harness and lift the flap under the wheelwell and unplug the harness. Connect the new one the same way, but make sure to leave enough slack in the harness for turning. Good Luck!