2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Abs module

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
Thnos is on a distinguished road

For what its worth it took me 7-8 months for chasing this down. The lights were intermittent, some days no lights other days they were on all the time. I did all the diagnosing and did it again. But I did put in 2 new bearings as I didn't know if they had ever been replaced, chased down ground wires and cleaned them, took the unit apart and re-soldered the power points. What finally did it was I had bought a SMD hot air rework soldering station #852D (I have other hobbies), took the unit apart again wiped it down with flux and re-flowed the entire unit with emphasis on the usual suspects. I also cleaned out the old thermal past and replaced it with a high grade thermal paste. If you are doing this you must replace the thermal paste as it will be dried and break creating an air gap that wont allow heat to dissipate very well from the chips. Another thing I think the soldering pen I used the first time wasn't hot enough. 6 weeks now and no lights.

Last edited by Thnos; 07-06-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:02 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thnos
For what its worth it took me 7-8 months for chasing this down. The lights were intermittent, some days no lights other days they were on all the time. I did all the diagnosing and did it again. But I did put in 2 new bearings as I didn't know if they had ever been replaced, chased down ground wires and cleaned them, took the unit apart and re-soldered the power points. What finally did it was I had bought a SMD hot air rework soldering station #852D (I have other hobbies), took the unit apart again wiped it down with flux and re-flowed the entire unit with emphasis on the usual suspects. I also cleaned out the old thermal past and replaced it with a high grade thermal paste. If you are doing this you must replace the thermal paste as it will be dried and break creating an air gap that wont allow heat to dissipate very well from the chips. Another thing I think the soldering pen I used the first time wasn't hot enough. 6 weeks now and no lights.
Pictures of the repair?

George

Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Beginning Member
Thnos is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I thought of that in hindsight. There are a few YT vids that show the re flowing method just not any I found for the ABS module. I really need to get my kid to record me doing some of this stuff. I just don't have the patience to try and work on something and make a recording that's worth a hoot!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Thnos
Sorry, I thought of that in hindsight. There are a few YT vids that show the re flowing method just not any I found for the ABS module. I really need to get my kid to record me doing some of this stuff. I just don't have the patience to try and work on something and make a recording that's worth a hoot!
My observations are that recordings don't have to be worth a hoot to be published on YouTube but I can appreciate your desire to produce quality work.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:00 AM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
the common fix is to take the ABS module out, remove the cover and resolder about everything. If you are not comfortable taking the ABS apart, I offer to do it for you, you just have to pay for shipping both ways. I think it will fit into a small USPS Priority box...although I have not tried it.
I sent Lanny my unit years ago and he fixed it up for me. Nice guy!