2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS module or dirty sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM
psychothecat1 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS module or dirty sensors?

Early last summer my 02 Blazer started the "ABS kicking in at low speed" symptom. I researched on this site and found the tech bulletin. Great. I drove accordingly and let it go til it needed dealt with. Inspection expired 12/31, time to deal. I printed out the bulletin and headed to the mechanic I have dealt with for years. He read the bulletin and went to the garage. He came back and said he checked the wire connections and they looked fine. He also said the scan was showing both sensors being bad. He hooked up the scan tool and had me drive through town while he read it. When I would brake and the ABS would kick in, whatever the tool said led him to believe that it is a bad module not the sensors. Is that possible for him to be sure of that result from what he did? I already have the module off the truck and planning to ship it out to MM on Monday. But I just have this feeling that maybe I should try to find someone willing to clean the sensors before I go that route. Does that make any sense, or just ship it and shut up? Thanks-Debbie

Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Since I cant know what the scantool told him specifically, I'd have to go on his word.

HOWEVER.. this is a good illustration on why you should deal quickly with a problem. When one side of anything of a front end fails or wears out... whatever the cause... it's not uncommon for the other to soon follow suit.

This applies to hub bearings, ball joints, shocks, and, certainly, brake rotors and pads etc. So it's indeed possible that both got dirty or whatever independently but you wont know until you try to fix and test them.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
yerni is on a distinguished road
Default abs problem

ok, if its 4x4 then trust me its ur wheel hubs. i just replaced mine bc i had the same problem, i know how it is no matter how fast or slow u decelerate it will kick on, i replaced so much to see what was it and when i replaced the wheel hubs that was it, the abs sensors are inside the wheel hubs and when u buy them they have the abs sensor wire built into it, so its cool when u replace the one it fixes both. trust me, it will save u the aggravation especially when the abs kicks on when ur behind another car and u really have to put it to the floor and it jerks the hell out the vehicle almost hitting the car in front of u. if u have any questions just message me back and i will certainly get back to u with some answers