2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS scare 98 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
James1965 is on a distinguished road
Default ABS scare 98 Blazer

well after replacing the front right ABS sensor and putting out my ABS light I was driving down the road and came to a stop and the ABS kicked in .. was on good dry pavement, no lights came on, but the ABS is now kicking in everytime i slow down from about 12 mph and then quits when i actually get to a stop. the thing pulls hard left when it does this also. not really sure what is up with this but its scary.. any ideas on where to go? I had it scanned and there are no current codes showing for the ABS.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

did you adjust the gap properly. push it in till it stops than rotate the wheel a few times than lock it up, might want to adjust both fronts

Old 06-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member

yep it isnt making any physical contact. I mean with the dogs in the hub. it came with a shim as well. i've tried it both ways.. did not matter.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the ABS light is out while driving, you've got the sensor close, but not perfect. If the signal from the sensor to the ABS unit isn't within range, the wheel will lock up below about 8 MPH, as you found out Without an ABS capable scan tool to watch each wheel speed, or check voltage output from the sensor, you'll have to dink with it until you get it right on. The option is replace the hub assembly, it comes with the sensor.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
If the ABS light is out while driving, you've got the sensor close, but not perfect. If the signal from the sensor to the ABS unit isn't within range, the wheel will lock up below about 8 MPH, as you found out Without an ABS capable scan tool to watch each wheel speed, or check voltage output from the sensor, you'll have to dink with it until you get it right on. The option is replace the hub assembly, it comes with the sensor.

I have access to a snap-on scanner. what should be proper voltage from the sensors? what is the range i'm looking for? I can get the scanner and check it out. what a let down, I was so happy to get rid of the yellow light of doom only to now be worried if I'll be able to stop at the light. lol

Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section. You are looking for the ABS activation thread. It has the specs in it. All that is needed for checking the proper output is a jack & a multimeter.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member
habafab is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but it just started doing it yesterday and I never even touxhed the abs sensors, my wheelbearing is howling a little bit but there is no play in the bearing I'm going to tighten it up and see if the howl goes away, but if its the gap then what would cause mine to go off if it hasnt been touched??

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by habafab
I have the same problem but it just started doing it yesterday and I never even touxhed the abs sensors, my wheelbearing is howling a little bit but there is no play in the bearing I'm going to tighten it up and see if the howl goes away, but if its the gap then what would cause mine to go off if it hasnt been touched??
we used to get trucks in like crazy with this problem but surprisingly none lately.

one word answer, rust.

rust builds up between the wire and the bearing and actually lifts it up away from the ring inside the bearing. so basically the way you fix it is take off the little bolt (should be a allen head bolt) holding the wire to the bearing and wire wheel the heck out of and re install it. or just replace the bearing and wire together.

you got about a 50/50 chance of getting that wire out of there in one piece anyways, sometimes a rust ring builds up and they wont come out