2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ac compressor/power steering pump bracket!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road
Post Ac compressor/power steering pump bracket!

I`M gonna have to change out the valve cover gasket on my driver side real soon.I have a oil leak that I couldn`t figure out where it was coming from.I thought it maybe the oil cooler line but it wasn`t.I discovered that the leak was coming from top of engine.I was curious to try and find out where.I took a look at the valve cover bolts(with the rubber grommets) that fastened the valve cover, where leaking.Then I passed my hand behind the valve cover itself near the bottom of it.It was leaking there too.

So my question is will I have to remove the bracket that holds the (Ac Compressor/Power Steering Pump) off in order for me to remove the valve cover?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have always done them when doing intake manifold gaskets. I've done quite a few for friends & family over the years. To do the LIM gaskets, you have to remove the bracket and while it's out, it is simple to do the valve cover gaskets.

You can try to get it without removing the bracket, but if it is possible, it is going to be tight and there is a possibility that you will not be able to see well enough to get the sealing surface nice and clean which may result in another leak.

My advice would be to remove the bracket so you can do a good job with the install.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

A couple of years back my son and I picked up a 97 LS with the bottom end out for resale, during the rebuild the covers were swapped side per side and of course nothing lined up. I unbolted the ac pump and set it on the radiator support, on this application the bracket was held on by bolts and one long stud, by sliding the bracket and ps pump to the shroud as far as it would go without removing the stud I gained enough clearance. Fishing it past the power booster for the brakes was tight but take your time and it can be done. Riders side the alt and bracket was removed also for extra clearance. As with most newer vehicles on the market nowadays the covers are fiber so follow torque specks when reinstalling them

Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I have always done them when doing intake manifold gaskets. I've done quite a few for friends & family over the years. To do the LIM gaskets, you have to remove the bracket and while it's out, it is simple to do the valve cover gaskets.

You can try to get it without removing the bracket, but if it is possible, it is going to be tight and there is a possibility that you will not be able to see well enough to get the sealing surface nice and clean which may result in another leak.

My advice would be to remove the bracket so you can do a good job with the install.
I`m gonna try and do without taking the bracket off.If I can see the area with a flash light,fit my hand in it?I`m gonna try and pull it off.Butdo I have to use any type of rtv gasket sealer on the gaskets? Thanks a bunch!!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by odat
A couple of years back my son and I picked up a 97 LS with the bottom end out for resale, during the rebuild the covers were swapped side per side and of course nothing lined up. I unbolted the ac pump and set it on the radiator support, on this application the bracket was held on by bolts and one long stud, by sliding the bracket and ps pump to the shroud as far as it would go without removing the stud I gained enough clearance. Fishing it past the power booster for the brakes was tight but take your time and it can be done. Riders side the alt and bracket was removed also for extra clearance. As with most newer vehicles on the market nowadays the covers are fiber so follow torque specks when reinstalling them
Thanks a bunch!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:50 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toocute350
I`m gonna try and do without taking the bracket off.If I can see the area with a flash light,fit my hand in it?I`m gonna try and pull it off.Butdo I have to use any type of rtv gasket sealer on the gaskets? Thanks a bunch!!
Nope, the felpro gasket kit will come with new gaskets for the base of the valve covers and also new grommets for the bolts. Tighten the bolts to 106 INCH pounds.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
Nope, the felpro gasket kit will come with new gaskets for the base of the valve covers and also new grommets for the bolts. Tighten the bolts to 106 INCH pounds.
Thanks brother.It`s hard not to put rtv when your always use to putting rtv.If we could put rtv it would last alot longer.