2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC gone, Compressor done for

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Blazer_Man_Dan is on a distinguished road
Default AC gone, Compressor done for

I got a quote from a repair shop to fix the AC (the compressor is the part that's broken) in my 1999 chevy blazer LT 4door, 2wd, and the total is expected to be $760. does that sound reasonable? Also, is it reasonable to buy a compressor (that's the part we are certain is broken) and fix it on our own, or is there other parts that need to be fixed at the same time?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned
BLAZERMAN911 is on a distinguished road

u will definatly save money doing it yourself. just make sure u buy some new seals and u should be fine.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

Granted you can do it yourself....but you will need some specific tools. A set of a/c manifold gauges, vacuum pump, pulley puller (for the compressor pulley), you also might need an a/c spanner wrench. Those are the major tools you will need...everything else is pretty reasonable as far as prices go.

Now you can by a o-ring kit and shaft seal kit from this place. Yours will be the HT6 style compressor.

I have replaced the shafts seals before and o-rings and they will not always seal up like they are supposed to due to the wear of the compressor itself. The shaft seal is more prone to leak on a DIY rebuild. But, it is worth a shot to try it. Also, before you install the compressor you will want to flush out the system and also change the orifice tube. The accumulator should be fine. And make sure you drain the old compressor of oil and put in fresh oil.

Compressors will run about $200.00 and up....check here for your year.

Last edited by Frog; 06-23-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Changed Information
Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned
BLAZERMAN911 is on a distinguished road

or do what i did and hit up your local junk yard and find a compressor that still works. and to know that u simply see if its still holding pressure by removing the line on back of compressor. remove it very slowly and when u start to hear it leaking out then you know u got a good one. not only will u save a ton of money but it will also eliminate all them tools u need. simply remove and slap onto your blazer. then recharge the system. and be sure to get the ac cans that comes with oil in them. u can get them at walmart and they come with the hose and gauge to do it yourself. i paid $20 bucks for mine and it works great!! and i paid about $40 for the cans of ac recharge at walmart and i already own the hose and gauge.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

And by releasing that stuff into the air like that, you contribute to slowly killing us all, great plan.

If you decide to do the compressor yourself, at least have the shop vacuum the system so you don't release all that crap into the air. (Which is illegal, by the way)

Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaning up... And now back to the topic at hand. Do not do as BM911 has suggested concerning the release of refrigerant into the environment. It is irresponsible and illegal. Enough said. No need to continue with the side tracked diatribe.

I wouldn't recommend the use of a junkyard compressor either, but that's because I have cleaned up after people that have tried to do it. Ruins a lot of other things if they let go...making for a more expensive repair than if it was just done right the first time.

Also, your A/C system will work much more efficiently if it were evacuated prior to filling it. An initial charge with nitrogen can be used to check for leaks prior to filling it with refrigerant. Nitrogen also aids in the removal of oxygen & moisture, both of which lower the efficiency of the system. Evacuate the nitrogen and pull a good vacuum on the system, then charge it back up.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member
USMarine1108 is on a distinguished road

That's way too much for that. Get the part, swap it yourself and go to one of the many shops who will charge the system for ~$70. The cans you get will work, but if your system is empty it really needs to be charged correctly. The A/C system is very sensitive to the pressure, too much or too little will not make it as efficient as it could be. The gauges you get with the cans will work for a top off but........... if it's empty have it filled correctly. The whole deal shouldn't cost you anymore than half of what you were quoted.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:26 PM
ctyler is on a distinguished road

Not that I advocate dumping the system into the atmosphere. However its ironic that the same refrigerents can be found in cans of canned air sold every year.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got done putting on a new compressor. I had the freon evacuated properly
by a shop prior to installing the new compressor. One thing I did not do which I should have
was to flush the system out to clean out any small debris that might have been in there.
Put on a new orifice filter tube while you got it broken down this far.
Mine was caked up with who knows what. Crud and small metal pieces.
I did not flush the system as suggested by most new compressor manufacturers
prior to installation. I wound up evacuated the system a 2nd time. My new orifice tube was caked/plugged up. Should have flushed the system out. If you do everything right the first time by yourself, Compressor(200), evacuate freon by shop(70), Orifice tube(5),
New freon/PGA oil(40) Systems flush(25) Total should be around 340-360.
You can get lucky and not put a new orifice tube and not flush the system. You may pay
for it later. I did.

Good Luck - Mark

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
Eric D is on a distinguished road

Yes, often when the compressor fails, it is a "catostrophic" failure. Small metal particles from the inside of the compressor will cirulate through the system. I replaced every component in the system. A few hundred in parts. The toughest one is the evaporator.