2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC O-ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:58 PM
ohiofossil is on a distinguished road
Default AC O-ring replacement

I have a 2002 2DR 4WD Blazer, and I had Firestone do a system check on the AC, where they were to check the system for leaks, and correct then charge the system. For this they charged me $230, and it lasted less than a week, so obviously they either really didn't check it out, or it has a leak at on of the valves, which I will check.

But, I want to replace all the o-rings in the system as well, and was wondering if someone had a schematic of the AC system showing where all the o-rings reside.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Milton in Virginia

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Top of compressor, one bolt, two gaskets. Passenger side of condenser, two O rings. High side liquid line to evaporator, one O ring. Replace the fixed orifice tube while it's apart. ToughOne Orifice Tube T38623: Advance Auto Parts Outlet of evaporator to accumulator inlet, one O ring. Accumulator outlet, one O ring. All of the O rings are HNBR, (green, not black). Here is the kit: Factory Air O-Ring & Gasket A/C System Seal Kit 26742: Advance Auto Parts

Keep in mind that when you open the system to replace the O rings and gaskets, the accumulator is exposed to atmosphere. It will rapidly absorb ambient humidity. 15 minutes can destroy it. The system MUST be evacuated to 2 atmospheres, (29.4"hg) for a minimum of one hour before charging. If the system is not evacuated, charging with the specified amount of refrigerant will overcharge the system.

High side service port leaks, and "belly leaks" on the compressor are very common. O rings... not so common.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohiofossil
I have a 2002 2DR 4WD Blazer, and I had Firestone do a system check on the AC, where they were to check the system for leaks, and correct then charge the system. For this they charged me $230, and it lasted less than a week, so obviously they either really didn't check it out, or it has a leak at on of the valves, which I will check.

But, I want to replace all the o-rings in the system as well, and was wondering if someone had a schematic of the AC system showing where all the o-rings reside.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Milton in Virginia
Why not take it back to Firestone and make them stand behind their work??????? I damn sure would, and wouldn't pay a damn red cent more!!! U paid them more than enough to repair the system...........good luck

Last edited by 07nhbpsi; 05-29-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 PM

Sounds like I need to go with my first impulse and just strip the AC crap off the truck, shave a few pounds, and drive faster with the windows down.

Thanks for the response and help, much appreciated

Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM

As to taking it back to Firestone, tried it, and basically got a shrug and an "Oh well, it is an old vehicle". They are happy to take the money, but not willing to give it back

Old 05-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member
Grandpaswagon is on a distinguished road

AC really isn't as hard as a lot of people think. You just have to know that it is a closed and sealed system.

To work on it yourself, you will need a set of AC gauges, and a vacuum pump at a minimum.

After you change the seals, add a little UV dye to the system when you charge it. The dye will help you isolate any leaks that you may have missed. Once you fix all of the leaks, evacuate the system again before you add the proper amount of refrigerant.

If you have no leaks, and the system is properly charged, it should work as good as new.

I completely rebuilt the AC on my '94 Camaro a couple years back. It is still blowing cold. I think that I spent around $500 total on parts and tools that I didn't have (but do now).

Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

As to taking it back to Firestone, tried it, and basically got a shrug and an "Oh well, it is an old vehicle". They are happy to take the money, but not willing to give it back
Seriously???? Wtf, I would go back again and raise complete hell with them!!!!! Don't stop there either, call corporate on them!!!! Seriously, don't touch it......make them fix it!!!!! That is such poor business practice......if u were near me, I would be more than happy to go in there with u!!!!!!! Do not lay down and let them roll over u like that!!!!!!! Pick up the phone, make a few calls , file a few complaints.........I know sometimes it's easier turn and walk away but don't!!!!! U have paperwork and u paid them...............any shop that reputable would stand behind their work!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yes ago I had Midas fix the air in one of my cars, well a wk later it had quit working I took it back and guess what??? They fixed it.....free of further charge!!!!!!! Now, don't get me wrong I hate Midas and they are scammers as well, but u get the point!!!! They messed up, and they fixed it....

Old 06-03-2015, 01:33 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Milton in Virginia
You got a squirt of Freon for $230. Typical big money-maker if you short cut. They owe you a complete refund of $230. Tell them you will escalate it to corporate.

In reality, if it was completely discharged the leak should have been found (after all the freon went somewhere) and the dessicant replaced - then the system pumped down and verified to hold vacuum before any freon was ever added (it would not have passed). This would have definitely cost more than $230, but were you presented with that option? Finally it should have been leak checked thoroughly with a freon detector before giving it back to you. A/C repair is supposed to follow a certain standard and there are federally mandated rules to ensure that freon is not needlessly vented to the atmosphere (yours lost a few pounds again in 1 week). No excuse for what you experienced.

Tearing the entire system down is not a good idea. You will cause more problems than you fix.

For finding leaks, a little bit of Freon and a good electronic leak detector is the way to go. Leaking down in 1 week should not be hard to find. Unfortunately electronic leak detectors are expensive. I think Firestone needs either refund $230 or start over and give you a credit of $230 (doing it right this time). Age of the vehicle is irrelevant! Sometimes a dealership is cheaper in the end.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-03-2015 at 01:53 PM.