2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC refrigerants

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Guy is on a distinguished road
Default AC refrigerants

Hey guys....can you tell me what kind of refrigerant would be in my 2005 Blazer....this is the original refrigerant....I't still keeps things fairly cold inside.. but I know it should be better... im thinking of buying one of the Red Tek 12a kits....and recharging the system....is this a simple job or should I not mess with it at all.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

R134a is what came in it from the factory.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your quick responce swartlkk...is this a fairly simple job using one of the kits to swap out the R134a for the 12a.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

If your not aware of what's in it I doubt you have the stuff and know how to remove it and get new stuff in. More too it than simply plugging a hose in.

Why do you think you want to fill the system with propane (r12a). Its illegal to retrofit in r12 systems for a reason. Since r12 isn't being produced its hard to get and costly. All cars since sometime in the 1990s use r134a and since it won't blow up in a crash legal to retrofit into a r12 system.

Last edited by neo71665; 06-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by neo71665
If your not aware of what's in it I doubt you have the stuff and know how to remove it and get new stuff in. More too it than simply plugging a hose in.
This is why im asking questions here.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No it is not a simple process nor one that you would be equiped to do in your driveway. It isn't really a suggested swap either.

You may just need to top off your system which is something that can be done in your driveway with a R134a recharge kit from Wal-mart or just about any autoparts store.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM

See the edit above, I had to look up what r12a was. Basically unless you have a deathwish leave the propane for you grill. Even then imho its a bad choice.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

I have seen it used propane in the old R12 a/c systems on tractors before but that was when I was VERY young. Once the conversion kits became cheaper, we eventually changed our tractors over to R134a. Propane is actually a VERY good refrigerant. It just happens to be a very good fuel source as well which is why it isn't a good idea.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Didn't say it was always bad. How many john deeres do you see in a crowded freeway doing 70mph. I also cant argue about the fuel rail but its normally not hanging off the front of the truck and always gets a hole in it during a wreck. Fuel lines are also normally not placed beside a battery in the front of the engine bay.

Being a fellow FF you know as well what always get bent and is leaking in front end wrecks. Having to worry about an ac system full of propane isn't the first thing that runs in your mind unless its on a placard.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Administrator

I'm not advocating the use in automobiles by any stretch, especially given the safe alternatives that are available for those systems.