2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

AC Unit Cover Broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: AC Unit Cover Broken

Please keep us updated, because if it's not a necessary part, it can go to the dump!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Repair guides on autozone say to replace the cutout and screw and seal in place after blower service. I think that motor is open ie not water proof. Doesnt the 4 cylinder have a rigid plastic box that the blower attaches to so only the sealed portion shows when looking at it. It up to you whether you want to do something about it anyway, Im not sure I would trust too many gm mechanics one said I had a bad fuel pump when it was an ignition switch another said that dexcool could be mixed with traditional coolant. Maybe the gm dealers around me are just bad.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Mine is starting too. I epoxied a small piece back on but that plastic is so brittle.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If this is just the plastic insulator cover for the HVAC box, then it is unnecessary. System performance, pertaining to the A/C, may be slightly less, but it will not introduce harmful fumes into the cabin.

Now, if your main HVAC core box is busted up, then yeah, you shouldn't run around with it like that.

And the multi-layer aluminum heat shield at the bottom is definitely necessary. Without it, your heater core would be compromised by the heat of the exhaust manifold and y-pipe.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
BlazinBeam is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I will keep everyone posted on the progress but the A/C fix is on hold. I took the beast out today with die in the A/C unit to see where my leak is and my water pump or something near it started to hemorrhage coolant. I have to get this problem fixed before I can move back on to the A/C unit. I will not be able to rip it down and see where the leak is till early next week so it will be a week or so for the final conclusion on the A/C. Hopefully this coolant set back is the last of the surprises. I think it will be but who know!

And swartlkk it is just the plastic insulator cover that is crumbling away. Everything else so far appears to be top notch. Hell the blower casing and motor look like brand new. I guess that wont stay that way once the cover is completely remove.

PS: to everyone. The Mechanic said to keep the information sticker that is on the top side of the cover because it has some necessary info.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Blazer4U is an unknown quantity at this point

Just replaced the water pump on my blazer after replacing the intake gasket. The blade inside the water pump had broken free from the shaft and was just in there free-wheeling. Guess that's not too bad for a water pump that lasted 244,000 miles.