2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Actuator removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
WinnipegsonomaZR2 is on a distinguished road
Default Actuator removal

Has anyone pulled off the actuator that has the yellow and brown vacuum lines connected to it......is there a clip or just pull up my panties and pull on it....I have been at it for hours trying to figure how to get it off.....any help would be greatly appreciated... I have pulled all the trim panels off and is up in a tight corner just able to get my hand around it.... I think I can feel what seems like a clip but I can't see it and is almost impossible for me to push on it and pull on the actuator at the same time

Attached Thumbnails Actuator removal-image.jpg  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Might try using a small mirror to help see. I have not removed this nor have I read about anyone doing so. Curious, why are you wanting to remove it?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Beginning Member

There isn't even enough room for a small mirror.....so I went back at it determined to get it off and after my morning coffee I went in and got her done!!! As u can see there is a clip and with the help of a small screwdriver ( and some luck) I got it out......why u ask....My Vent air would always blow in my face and I couldn't change it to defrost..... so after taking all my trim panels off and dropping the glove box I operated my vent control and I noticed that the mode door actuator did not move.....I operated it by hand and I was able to control the vent from defrost to foot so I unhooked the actuator and tried to operate it without the load of the blend door and nothing happened (I checked the vacuum lines with a gauge and had suction) So I'm hoping that the inside diaphragm is shot as I have ordered a new one (of course it's the one that is $55 and all the others are $15) hoping to get the parts I ordered this week and will update my findings

Attached Thumbnails Actuator removal-img_0104.jpg   Actuator removal-img_0105.jpg  
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Well congrats on getting the actuator off. Easy to test the actuator; just put a finger lightly over the hose connection and then move the arm. If it moves freely, then yep the diaphragm is shot. If you can feel air moving in out of the tube, then it is fine.

Odd though....usually I have read that the problem is not being able to get air flow anywhere but the defrost outlet. This is due to defrost being the default. The usual failure is the defrost valve inside the duct has broken...which is moved by the actuator below the one you removed.

Anyways, yeah, be sure to update.

Good job!!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member

Well I've been putting it off long enough and today I went out and put my new parts in and with would see if they worked

First I put in a new 4x4 cable in hoping that it was my problem as I was getting vacuum to the 4x4 actuator but wasn't pulling it in all the way. After putting the new one in I quickly found out that it wasn't my problem... after a little more trouble shooting...found out that it's the actuator... I replaced it not that long ago but as the pics show...there was a minor tear just small enough to cause me problems

Second I changed out my blower motor control module/resistor as I read that if my fan was working on some speeds but not others that this could be the problem.....0 for 2......it's the blower motor... but thxs to the great people at Rock Auto it only cost me 12.75 and it's prettier then the old one!!!!

3rd and back to my original post...I replaced my vent actuator.... and FINALLY success....1 for 3.... after putting the new one in I was able to change my vent to defrost and air stopped blowing in my face all the time

So a word of advice to people who have vent problems.... remove all your dash panels (which even after 3 weeks in between removing and install with nothing labled....all went back together good) and watch your actuators to make sure u have the proper movement and if it is the heater blend door that is broken you will have a good start in replacing it

Attached Thumbnails Actuator removal-img_0108.jpg   Actuator removal-img_0109.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member

Well I've been putting it off long enough and today I went out and put my new parts in and with would see if they worked

First I put in a new 4x4 cable in hoping that it was my problem as I was getting vacuum to the 4x4 actuator but wasn't pulling it in all the way. After putting the new one in I quickly found out that it wasn't my problem... after a little more trouble shooting...found out that it's the actuator... I replaced it not that long ago but as the pics show...there was a minor tear just small enough to cause me problems

Second I changed out my blower motor control module/resistor as I read that if my fan was working on some speeds but not others that this could be the problem.....0 for 2......it's the blower motor... but thxs to the great people at Rock Auto it only cost me 12.75 and it's prettier then the old one!!!!

3rd and back to my original post...I replaced my vent actuator.... and FINALLY success....1 for 3.... after putting the new one in I was able to change my vent to defrost and air stopped blowing in my face all the time

So a word of advice to people who have vent problems.... remove all your dash panels (which even after 3 weeks in between removing and install with nothing labled....all went back together good) and watch your actuators to make sure u have the proper movement and if it is the heater blend door that is broken you will have a good start in replacing it

Attached Thumbnails Actuator removal-img_0108.jpg   Actuator removal-img_0109.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member

Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 AM
FMB42 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Starting Member
John Schoenfelder is on a distinguished road

WinnipegsonomaZR2
can you let me know where you were able to order the new actuator. I have looked and can not find a place that carries them. i took a used one off my parts blazer but i would have rather had a new one. Thank you

Old 11-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by John Schoenfelder
WinnipegsonomaZR2
can you let me know where you were able to order the new actuator. I have looked and can not find a place that carries them. i took a used one off my parts blazer but i would have rather had a new one. Thank you
sorry for late response just seen email.....I bought it from Rock Auto