2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Air Conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Air Conditioner

I'm still trying to get a replacement part for my heater. The thing that switches the a/c from cold to hot.

The Chevy guys have some on order from GM but need to fill the container before shipment, so I can be waiting for a long time.

I'm told it's different from LHD trucks - is this true?

Here's a pic of mine to help id it.

In fact all I really need is the big plastic wheel so maybe if I can strip a LHD one to fit in mine & I should be good to go.

Also what do these things cost? Here it'll cost me 198 bucks! ( US$128 ).

Can someone maybe get me one off a wreck? And at what cost?

Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner-ac-switch.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GM PN 42578278 shows an MSRP of 107.21USD with a price of 55.74USD on GMPartsDirect.com. This PN cross references to AC Delco PN 15-5660 which is available from RockAuto.com for 56.79USD and shows as a non-stock item. The application shows as pretty much all 2002 s-series vehicles, but only 2002 so it is odd that this is what is in your truck... It does not designate whether it is a RHD only, but it matches up to what you currently have.

I am not sure of RockAuto.com's international shipping policy, but you may want to contact them to inquire about it.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks Kyle. I'll make contact.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:47 AM
BF Veteran

Hey Kyle!

I checked RockAuto's website & found the part.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10721

but cost is $132.79 + shipping! You came up with a price of $56.79, not sure if we're looking at the same thing. I couldn't find any other than the above.

However, I did e-mail them & got this reply: [Quote] Everything that is available you see in our online catalog at www.rockauto.com. We don't have any access to RHD part numbers but DORMAN Part # 604106 works and fits your vehicle. We also carry the AC Delco part # 155660 it is A/C Vacuum Actuator for a 2002 CHEVROLET BLAZER.[UnQuote]

In the meantime i've looked at the broken cog & decided that I'll make 2 plastic washers & grind & drill out the hole so that it's a tight fit into the recess of the cog & glue it together. I should be good to go after that. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Given that you currently have the AC Delco # 15-5660 (which cross references to the PN on your current module), I would go with that one. That's cool that you can order from them though.

Give it a whirl with the washers and epoxy. Sounds like it should work. What would definitely work would be if you could machine a ring to fit into the recessed portion on the top. Then you would only need to glue it in so it would stay down, but not to hold any real pressure.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM
BF Veteran

I did think of that, also considered a big circlip but space mey be limited & also not much place to grip.

On the way home this evening I saw a machine shop down the road from my office. I'm going there in the morning.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran

I have a few questions!

I've found some circlips that fit perfectly! Well, with a tiny bit of shaving to the gear.
Problem is that under stress the circlip lets the gear open up but not break up, so I filed the inside hole to get it onto the shaft.

This is where the questions are: Refer attached pic.

1. What goes throught the shaft? If anything. I may need to drill & fit a pin through the gear & shaft to prevent it from stripping on the shaft.

2. Is the little motor 12v ? I'd like to check if it works before fitting.

Thanks guys

Sorry, forgot the pic. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioner-p1010002.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 AM
BF Veteran

Bump! Anyone?

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

I would fill the cavity with resin that now you got the circlip in.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
mlonas is an unknown quantity at this point

My local NAPA store had the actuator for my '98 Jimmy with auto climate control for $100. I was able to remove the actuator through the glove box opening with a 7/32 quarter inch drive socket and a small ratchet. It is tedious but saved a 5 hour labor charge at the shop. Just took me about 20 minutes to get it out...

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner