2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Air Conditioning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012 | 07:12 PM
|
Beginning Member
azzr2 is on a distinguished road
Default Air Conditioning Problem

Here's the background. I bought the ZR2 in mid Feb. OF course the AC did not work, so I had it checked out at a shop for 130 bucks, recharged and they claim the found a leak in "a valve" and fixed it. It blew Ice cold for 2 weeks. then boom, nothing, didn't even kick on after 2 weeks. Left town for a funeral, had it checked out at another shop. They found the exact same leak in the exact same spot. Instead of tightening the valve to fix it, they replaced it. It cost a whole 6 bucks for the valve and 80 bucks for the recharge. This was last weekend. Ok in a 3 week period I've had to have this thing recharged twice. First shop claims they put dye in it to check for leaks... second shop says it's completely out of freon again but found no leaks or evidence of dye.
So far I've spent over 200 bucks at 2 different shops and still have a busted AC system. Today it was blowing cold, but the compressor seems to be cycling very quickly. Kicks on, then off, then on and off leading me to believe it's low on freon again and leaking out somewhere else. It was blowing at 41 degrees last weekend, today it was just kinda cool, then the compressor kicked off and it started blowing hot air.

I hate dealing with AC, anyone know of any common at home leak checks?

Old 03-30-2012 | 07:41 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You can buy some r134a with dye in it. Put a couple cans in and see for yourself where its leaking. I don't trust shops, they usually do enough to get it running for a bit then wait for it to fail so you will keep coming back lol. Usually it leaks from the o rings. Let us know what you find out!

Old 03-30-2012 | 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

That's a fast leak.. they didnt do much work, imo.. dont tell me they didnt have a sniffer or ultrasonic leak detector.!!!

Here's something I thought of doing when I thought I had a leak and couldnt find it
Take the truck to a self serv car wash and use the 'sudsing' setting to find the leak... it will blow bubbles..
First eyeball closely all the ac components and lines including the condenser and make a plan on how to get to them.
Buy a bottle of freon and dump it in just prior
take a paint brush with you to make sure you get the suds all the way round the connections
Suds everything down, including the compressor, all the way back to the firewall and watch close. Take a strong flashlight to make sure you can see

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-30-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2012 | 09:47 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

ah... mine did this also. i recharged it myself and almost 2 weeks later its not working. I wouldnt really care...but im going to florida in june.

Old 04-01-2012 | 01:47 PM
|
Beginning Member

I know what you mean, I just had it recharged for the 3rd time today, but this time with dye so we know where it's leaking. I wouldn't mind going without AC, but I have a 3 year old and the newest addition to the family should be born anytime within the next week, and I really don't want them subjected to the Arizona heat in the summertime. Especially since we live about 16 miles outside of phoenix, and that stretch of highway has nothing, no lights, no gas station no anything except for a cell phone dead spot.

Anyway, had it charged last weekend with the full 1lbs 12oz, and today when it was recharged it took 1lbs 2oz. I really hope that leak isn't too hard to find with the black ight.

Old 04-06-2012 | 10:43 PM
|
Beginning Member

Had dye added to the last recharge, it's showing up all over under the compressor. That's where it's leaking out. Time for a new compessor.

Old 04-07-2012 | 12:51 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I agree that is a fast leak. I have found that the O-rings at the hoses from the compressor are a common leak points. My 97 leaked there & with dye it did the same thing spray dye all over the compressor. But mine leaked much slower. I had to add some every few months. I live in Yuma & like A/C or not it is a must for us. I just had my 98 charged so I might be joining you with A/C issues. All though mine has a new compressor that was installed before I got it. So time will tell.,

Old 04-07-2012 | 10:31 PM
Aquarian Devil is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue with my 98, however I never got around to injecting dye in the system. I had to constantly recharge the system with r134. I saw a small crack on the AC hose where it bolts up to the compressor. Plus there was a small hole in the AC hose where it had been rubbing up against the hood. Finally got around to the local junk yards here and bought a hose off a 2000 Blazer. Went to AutoZone and bought a new orfice tube and a set of new O-rings. Bolted up the new hose and replaced the orfice tube. So far, so good. This is also after replacing the compressor last may.

Old 05-28-2012 | 07:51 PM
Beginning Member
egbert567 is on a distinguished road

I added dye to find the leak in my '03 Blazer a/c system. I have not checked the condenser connections or condenser, the only other place is at the accumulator where under a black light I can see the dye. Around the accumulator could be from me spaying in the dye....any ideas? Looks like the fan shroud has to come out to view the condenser? I hate chasing this leak about as much as the knocking noise from my steering column. It only has 69k on it, waa.. what's head for me...

Last edited by egbert567; 06-16-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-16-2012 | 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
egbert567 is on a distinguished road

I wish I was that lucky! I can't find the leak for nothing. The dye is only showing around the accumulator, this could from me injecting it. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problem