2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Alignment only or Ball joints too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member
Billybob69 is on a distinguished road
Default Alignment only or Ball joints too?

I am looking at an 05 ZR2 for $5k. Everything checks out, carfax, Autocheck... paint looks decent other than a ticked off girlfriend put a couple of key marks on the hood.
Except... Front pass tire is worn on the outside edge... Drivers side is worn .... don't remember. It does pull a little to the right but drives solid. No rattles or clunks on bumpy roads... going straight or turning
Could I be looking at just an alignment or ball joints as well? 121,000 on the clock. I am trying to contact the seller again to see if he can run it by a buddy's shop to have it checked out... just waiting on him to call me back.

Thoughts?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Carfax & Autocheck are only as reliable as the data that is submitted to them. There is no central data base for them to access or requirement to submit data to either company. If the data was not submitted correctly, or not at all, the vehicle could appear to have a clean bill of health. No news is not necessarily good news You can't "assume" everything is OK. You might want to have a qualified shop check it over for you.

With 121K miles on it, chances are it needs some front end work: Ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, wheel bearings, and possibly control arm bushings. These are all very common parts that wear out on these vehicles, and it can be expensive to repair them. Uneven or excessive tire wear is an indication that something is wrong. Best to have it checked out by a qualified suspension/alignment shop.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-17-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

pretty much just sounds like most of the front end needs rebuild. get em to knock off about 250.00 to compensate for it if you can do it yourself. Get everything from rockauto for cheaps and boom. front end rebuild on a 05 zr2 for 5k? score.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Beginning Member

This a busy college kid working his way through school so tough to get him to respond. Hopefully he calls soon. The shop in town that I whole heartedly trust said $30 for a check over and will look closely at the front end.

I have done some checking and even for this Blazer in fair condition it books at $6200 private seller so even if I can get him to drop the price a little more, it will still be a good deal.... I think...... I hope This will be my daily driver and my big truck will be retired.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

are you mechanically savvy? If you can do your own work it'll be a steal. But say if ball joints are worn,its a pricey bill if someone else does it.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Beginning Member

I called a buddy of mine that runs a shop and he said normally about 700 to 1100 to replace the ball joints depending on what is in there. Soooo... if it is...then time to break out the air tools and get to work...IF I buy it. But I want it!! Loved these Blazers for a long time. Finally have a chance to buy one.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have them check it out and let us know what it needs. We've got some very frugal members here, (myself included) that can find deals on parts. If you're planning on keeping it for DD, most everyone here will agree that Moog suspension parts are the only way to go. There are several threads in the "How-to" section that will walk you through the replacement process.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Beginning Member

I swear I am such a tightwad you couldn't pull a pin out of my a$$ with a tractor..... I just kept on shopping and found another deal.
02 ZR2 $4850

here is the info:
Just passed emissions.
Oil pan has been resealed on motor. The engine oil cooler lines have been replaced, Both sets. Oil has just been changed. Transmission has been serviced recently. Front differential has been resealed with new oil.
Radiator has been replaced along with a new water pump.
Intake maifold has been resealed about 1 year ago. The ball joints and the tie rod ends have been replaced about 1 year ago as well.
Motor runs great, no leaks at all. Has 146,900 miles.
No cracks in glass. Has power windows, locks, remote entry, power sun roof.
Tires are in Great shape, they have about 70% of tread left.
Interior is in good shape, no tears in fabric

So I will go check it out this weekend and I am thinking of offering $4500. At least, if the info is right, I won't have to worry about front end needing work, key marks on the hood and the front bumper being crooked. And I get the sunroof!
The only issue they said was that the cover for the visor mirror broke off so you have to be careful about making sure it is in place or the little light wont turn off. No biggie. I can unplug it until I get another one.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Very common for the sun shade mirror cover to break at the hinge....thin plastic. But they are not to difficult to fix with a bit of JB Weld and a piece of wire.

If that is all that is wrong with it....GET IT.

I too have always wanted a ZR2, especially one with a floor shifter.

Good luck and let us know if you get it.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member

I should know this weekend. There is a guy that is supposed to come up tomorrow night or Staurday morning to buy my bike, (Got bored with it). So with that I am going to buy the Blazer. Hopefully he doesnt bail on me.