2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?

With your AWD setup, there is no 4wd lo or hi... Its fulltime AWD, meaning that power is always pushing to all 4 wheels.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Starting Member
one.shot.one.kill. is an unknown quantity at this point

I own the same exact vehicle as you...color and all.

The only thing that is different is that, in that picture you posted, to the left of the air vents, where that box is, there are 3 buttons...one for 2wd, one for 4hi, and one for 4 lo.

I find this kind of weird that your balzer doesn't have that.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

He has the NP3. And after some more research, you do not have the NVG 146 transfer case. Rammer is correct that you have the Borg Warner

Transfer Case: Description and Operation
General Description
The Borg-Warner 4472 is a three-piece aluminum, chain driven, viscous clutch-type transfer case. This is used in a system in which all-wheel drive is always activated. The all-wheel drive is automatic and has no external controls.

The viscous clutch used in the 4472 is a torque distribution device and is non-serviceable. The internal construction of the viscous clutch consists of alternating plates that are connected to the front and rear outputs of the transfer case. The clutch is filled with high-viscosity oil which flows through slots in the plates. The oil's resistance to sheering causes the plates to transmit torque at the needed ratio to the front or rear wheels. The ratio that torque is transmitted is approximately 35 percent front, 65 percent rear.
No reference to it modifying the amount of torque transmitted like the active AWD transfer cases do. Seeing as how there are no sensors, switches or modules to control the operation of this transfer case, it would seem that it always transmits 35% forward and 65% rearward.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 AM
madbomb20 is an unknown quantity at this point

That could be why I only get 200 miles per tank of gas..

Has anyone ever tried to convert a non 4wd blazer into a pure 4wd? I wonder aside from a new transfer case what else would be necessary to modify.. Or if it would just be cheaper to buy a new one? lol. There is quite a bit of rust on the underside of it.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:49 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Full time 4wd would ruin the driveline.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:52 AM

OK, let me rephrase... Is it possible to convert AWD to part-time 4wd?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Scuba65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a few weeks back, after buying a '96 LT. I too, have the NP3 code. Now that there's snow on the ground, I can tell that it's definitely all time 4WD. I can't feel anything "kick in" but it grabs and handles exceptionally well.

I'm under the impression that there were very few of these built, from what I've read here, and from the guy I bought it from.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Administrator

As I stated earlier in this thread, I know you do not have the electronics and such, and I don't even know if you would have any of the wiring necessary for the swap. Beyond that, you would need to check your front axle to see if it even can be disengaged like the 4wd trucks can as well as have the mounting provisions for the vacuum operated cable assembly. Get past that and you still need an entirely different transfer case.

I have read quite a bit on people swapping from part-time 4wd to AWD, but I can't remember once reading about going from AWD to part-time 4wd... I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and if you need anything like wiring diagrams or part schematics I can see what I can find.

*EDIT* - Yeah, these are definitely VERY rare as I don't think the sales brochures even lists it as an option.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the response swart... I think I'll just live with it and one day buy a true 4wd

I have another issue though, my fuel gauge is very inaccurate. I had the fuel pump replaced about a year and half ago. I went to pick it up from the shop, and filled up my gas tank and gas spilled everywhere. Turns out they put the wrong fuel pump in and also screwed up the seal. So they put the right one in and filled up my gas tank for me lol. Anyways, the gauge has never been right since. If I'm on a downhill slope it can drop below E, sometimes stalls. When going back up hills it will go up over 1/2 tank. Its probably something electrical, but could also be the wrong fuel pump still, or the original design on the tank is faulty. My dad has a 99 blazer and he claims his does the same thing. Does anyone else have this problem? If it is a design issue, are there any aftermarket fuel tank/pump combinations that will give me a more accurate reading? As it is now, I just know after about 200 miles to go fill up.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading your post, it almost sounds like what I was experiencing with my ABS. Mine kicked in while going 15 MPH on a turn. I brought it in to the dealership about 3 months ago due to the ABS system recall. They did the necessary modifications as per the recall and that fixed my ABS issue. I think the issue applies to all blazers, jimmys, and bravadas so yours would also be affected.

I would bring it in to have the recall taken care of. It doesn't cost you anything to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: All-Time 4WD on 1996 Blazer?