2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Altenator going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:44 PM
crater is on a distinguished road
Default Altenator going bad?

2003 Blazer LS, 2wd, 2 door. After first starting, I can hear a noise coming from the altenator. I sounds like bearing's rubbing. It only happens when I am in park and reving the engine slightly. Between 1400-1600 rpm's. Above that the nosie goes away.

Also when the engine warms up, the noise is gone.

I had the altenator check at AZ and they said everything was O.K.

Of course, by the time I got to AZ the blazer was warm.

Should I start saving my pennies?

Many thanks in advance.....

Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When it's making the noise, shut the engine off and remove the serpentine belt. Start the engine long enough to see if the noise is still there. If the noise is still there, it's not any of the pulleys or their components. If it's gone, (shut the engine off) rotate each pulley and listen/feel for any noises. Post your results.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Beginning Member
Tommy G is on a distinguished road

A bad serpentine belt, idler, or tensioner can mimic some much more serious sounding noises. None of the those parts are expensive either.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I was going to replace the belt anyway. So I will post results after doing that.

One question, a friend of mine said there was a possibilty of messing up the timing if the belt was not installed correctly. Is there some special attention I need to be aware of? Other the usual one of making sure it follows the diagram properly.

Thanks again

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crater
Thanks for the info. I was going to replace the belt anyway. So I will post results after doing that.

One question, a friend of mine said there was a possibilty of messing up the timing if the belt was not installed correctly. ..
I can think of one way that would happen... somehow installed wrong, the belt shreds and knocks the crap out of the crank position sensor.

Otherwise, no. Unless your friend thought you were talking about a Timing belt {which the 4.3 doesnt have}.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

I just had the same thing happen to mine. When cold it made noises, when warm it went away. Till it didn't My voltage out was fine but it eventually started making noise all the time. If I pressed on the pulley when running (not a recommended test) The noises went away. Swapped out the alternator and all is now good and quiet. The bearings in the alternator were toasted! New one would free spin easily old one wouldn't free spin more than 1/2 turn.

The bearings in an alternator going bad before the alternator it self going bad are rare, but it DOES happen!

Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
When it's making the noise, shut the engine off and remove the serpentine belt. Start the engine long enough to see if the noise is still there. If the noise is still there, it's not any of the pulleys or their components. If it's gone, (shut the engine off) rotate each pulley and listen/feel for any noises. Post your results.
Well, finally got around to taking things apart, after the noise got much louder yesterday. Took the altenator off and it was difficult to rotate by hand, let alone spin freely. At a certain point, about three turns by hand,
it was very difficult to rotate. Replaced it along with the bracket (broke at small piece holding the altenator) and everything is better.

Like another member posted, it might be seldom that it happens, but it does. Bearings went out before the altenator....

Thanks for all the help guy's....

Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Well.. NUTS!

I drive all hi mile cars. And havent had alt bearings fail me in 30 years.. at least.. prolly 600,000 miles total.

Yesterday I checked the free pulleys and found the tensioner needs replaced.
I spun the alt and it only spun about three turns seemed a little stiff. Didnt think anything of it, quiet and no slop.
After reading this went out and spun a spare ford alt and it went about five and not stiff.

meh!