2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Batteries wear out. Unless you can do a true load test on it, you will never truely know.

But a weak battery will not cause the problem you first described.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Starting Member
onder is on a distinguished road

what could be the problem than. I just dont wanna replace it and than that is not the problem.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

I am chasing a similar problem to yours. But dont just start buying parts hoping to fix it.

It could be a computer issue too. I am still researching it myself.

I would have a load test done on the battery to see if it is bad. You may have 2 different problems going on.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Starting Member

what i realize today was, if i try to accelerate quick my battery gauge drops to 11 or 12 when its changing gears other then that it shows 14.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

get it checked at your local auto parts they could put a ;load on your alternator and battery

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

In an earlier post I explained that my alternator tests good. Still drops out above 4000 rpm.

But I do agree with getting his battery load tested to rule out a weak battery (Even though it wouldnt cause the alternator issues he is having.)

Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Starting Member

i am gonna remove the alternator and take it to autozone to get it test some times next week. im really busy with summer classes and work. my luck i bet my alternator and my battery need to be replaced or something bigger idk. i never had a easy solution for my problems in this truck. hopefully nothing serious.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I lost sight of the original problem, yup. Ideally bring the alternator someplace where they could spin it up on the bench and test it. I think they'll find the regulator inside went bad and can't switch fast enough.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 AM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RonJon
I lost sight of the original problem, yup. Ideally bring the alternator someplace where they could spin it up on the bench and test it. I think they'll find the regulator inside went bad and can't switch fast enough.
im with you. the regulator is the problem. on a 2500mile trip to mexico in my buddies 2000 silverado we were maxing it out and asnytime going up a hill it would down shift to about 4500rpms and the gauge would drop to 11v and depending on the rpm i redlined it and it droped to 9 and battery light came on. we ended up geting stranded in michoacan, bad place to be stranded in mexico. took us 2 hours to find a regualtor and 1 hour for the mechanic to sauter it on being we didnt feel like spending $3000 pesos or $275 DOLARS ON A NEW ALT. ps MEXICO ELECTRONICS ARE 2X MORE THEN AMERICA. long story short the regulator was the problem. got a new alternator and it fixed it. also get a new battery while your at it or your guna be stuck someware also. being your running n amp i would get the Optima battery i have its 900cca and 1000a. mines costed $230 but i got ripped off i see them at autozone or O-Riley auto for around $160-$180, just remember to get the RED TOP. fits right in the blazer like a charm.. also comes with a 6 year warrenty and i believe a 2 year free replacment warrenty

Last edited by chaoticdopey; 06-27-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

My voltage gauge on my dash has been not telling me the truth for the last 2-3 years.
It will sometimes stay steady at 14 and drop down to 9 volts randomly on acceleration.

It worried me and drove me crazy. Not saying your dash gauge is like mine.

I wound up getting an inexpensive cigarette voltage reader(7-8 dollars) and watched it
and my gauge. Found out that my volt gauge on my dash was not telling the truth.
I would try this first. It gave me peace of mind to know that the alternator
and battery were really OK.

Never really found out why it jumps around. I just watch the voltage reader that I
put into the cigarette for the correct read.

Its a cheap little gismo that might help you diagnose your problem.
I am still using it 2 years later.

Mark

Quick Reply: Alternator Problem