2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

another a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 AM
trukid21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default another a/c problem

morning fellas,
my a/c has a slight leak on the compressor body(sealing boundaries),found out by having an a/c tech do a nitrogen pressure leak test. although it showed on his gauge that it was holding pressure and we looked for obvious leak(hissing noise),could not find anyuntil we start using soap and water leak detection technique. My question is,is it possible just to keep adding freon to itto keep the truck cool?(going on vacation soon)and it will not damage the a/c comp? is there a way i could put a sealant on the body area where the leakis coming out just to cover it for now?i will eventually replace it but just can not do itat this time. I thought i had this fixed before but did not realize i was losing charge until thewife mentioned it that it started toblow warmair again and then it just stayed warm. charged it few times but it would not stay cold.that's when i took it to the a/c tech. any "cool"will definitely help, Thank you.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: another a/c problem

You could attempt to recharge it, but depending on how bad the leak is, it would only be temporary... There is R134a with leak sealer in it already that is available at many autoparts stores. They sell it in a kit with the low side manifold connection that allows you to recharge yourself. You could keep this kit with you and recharge as necessary during your trip. My experience with the leak sealers though is that sooner or later it'll come back to bite you. Most likely in higher repair costs than you would have originally paid to just fix it correctly now.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM
trukid21 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply. yeah, i figured i could toughen it out for now and keep chargin it. the cost to replace one is around $900 bucks. but i think i'll do it myself except the part where i need to have the freon remove and then recharge with new refrigerant.thanks again and hope you have a good 4th of july.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just changed out the compressor/accumulator/orifice valve on my 95 Blazer. Found the kit on ebay for $130 plus $25 shipping and it is very nice to finally have cold A/C once again after three years of toughing it out down south. Not sure what year you have but the replacement on a 95 is pretty simple. Looking at the compressor location of my 2001 Silverado scares the daylights out of me.