2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anyone ever seen this issue before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member
ihatefordz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yes, if you have to replace the BCM, you will have to get it programmed for your truck.
even if i dont have keyless entry?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The BCM does a lot more than interface with the RKE module when equiped with RKE.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Beginning Member

something weird happened tonight on my way home.

none of my symptoms happened. no radio turning off. no dash reseting or blinking off. headlights not dimming. nothing out of the ordinary.

is it possible that one of the cables was loose?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sure sounds like an ignition switch problem. Have you tested the contact resistance across the ignition switch?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

It sure sounds like an ignition switch problem. Have you tested the contact resistance across the ignition switch?
even if the scan indicated the bcm and not the ignition?

Have you tested the contact resistance across the ignition switch?
could you explain how?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator

If the BCM looses power, it could trigger the code you are getting.

The link in my signature has wiring diagrams. Test the resistance on the wiring into & out of the ignition switch as indicated in the diagrams. Resistance shouldn't be more than a few ohms and should be consistent if you cycle the ignition switch.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member

If the BCM looses power, it could trigger the code you are getting.

The link in my signature has wiring diagrams. Test the resistance on the wiring into & out of the ignition switch as indicated in the diagrams. Resistance shouldn't be more than a few ohms and should be consistent if you cycle the ignition switch.
reading that diagram is like reading chinese. i can not figure it out.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Do you have or know what a Multi Meter is? If not, go to Harbor Freight and buy one for $5.
All Swartlkk is telling you to do is to check the electrical resistance across the terminals or contacts of the ignition switch. Heck, if you just look at the ignition switch you can see if any of them has a discolored area around it. If so, replace the igntion switch as this can cause really strange problems.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Do you have or know what a Multi Meter is? If not, go to Harbor Freight and buy one for $5.
All Swartlkk is telling you to do is to check the electrical resistance across the terminals or contacts of the ignition switch. Heck, if you just look at the ignition switch you can see if any of them has a discolored area around it. If so, replace the igntion switch as this can cause really strange problems.
i know what a DMM is im into car audio. we use it to measure voltage and ohm load and speakers. i will go to HF and pick up one. now when checking the resistance does require me to pull the ignition out?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Administrator

You only have to disconnect the main harness under the steering column. To access the harness connector, you must first remove the hush panel under the driver side dash as well as the trim panel under the steering column (the one right in front of your knees when seated in the driver seat). You may also have another metal bracket that may have to be removed (can't remember what's under the dash in an s-series, it's been awhile since I've been into one).

Once you have the connector apart, identify the wires that run to each one of the ignition switch contacts as shown in the wiring diagrams previously mentioned. Turn the switch to the position at which the contact you are inspecting closes and note the resistance. Cycle the switch a few times and see if the resistance changes.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever seen this issue before?