2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anyone ever seen this issue before?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012 | 11:20 AM
|
Beginning Member
ihatefordz is on a distinguished road

went ahead and bought a new ignition module. got it installed and tried the passlock relearn but wont work because security light wont turn on at all. so i cant do anything. also i notice my batt got REALLY low like from 12.6v to 11.7v resting then to 9.8v resting. also all my gauges turn on if i push the odometer/trip reset button and turn back off if i let go..(is that normal?)

Old 02-06-2012 | 01:44 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

When a DISCONNECTED battery drops under 10 volts, within say a day or two of charging, it's dead. They really should over 12V, and need to hold over 10V. The various modules do not like to run under 10 volts either. A connected battery could just be getting drained.

I had to do my ignition switch recently. Fortunately one contact just suddenly died, so it was easy to diagnose. I would have expected it to be more intermittent at first, which could still test good.

I did check the power distribution block first. There are studs that could be cleaned. And the fusible links that power the ignition switch, I poked into the wire to measure across the link. It's under the hood, side wall, just in front of the driver seat - under a plastic cover.

Try checking for voltages with things running, not just ohms.

Old 02-06-2012 | 03:58 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Chuk Rhodes
When a DISCONNECTED battery drops under 10 volts, within say a day or two of charging, it's dead. They really should over 12V, and need to hold over 10V. The various modules do not like to run under 10 volts either. A connected battery could just be getting drained.

I had to do my ignition switch recently. Fortunately one contact just suddenly died, so it was easy to diagnose. I would have expected it to be more intermittent at first, which could still test good.

I did check the power distribution block first. There are studs that could be cleaned. And the fusible links that power the ignition switch, I poked into the wire to measure across the link. It's under the hood, side wall, just in front of the driver seat - under a plastic cover.

Try checking for voltages with things running, not just ohms.
you mean the fuse holder correct? under the hood. also im confused as to why when i try to the passlock relearn the security light doesnt turn on...any clue why?

Old 02-06-2012 | 04:59 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Well, I have a 97, it may be different. I have no fuses under the hood. There are "fusible links" which look like heat shrink over wire with some white junk at the ends. It's basically a very slow blow fuse, and can start to act like a resistor under heavy loads (causing voltage to go down). There's a nest of about 8 of them that all run into a plastic box, where they bolt down, I had some corrosion there. Each one feeds a row of fuses in the fuse block.

I don't have a security light, but have seen others. When I tried to get a new keyless remote to work, I had to find several "relearn procedures" before one worked, and they all said they applied to my year/model.

Old 02-06-2012 | 06:40 PM
|
Beginning Member

ok rechecked everything that was in this article

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-thread-26553/

and attempted the passlock relearn here....

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...o-learn-41012/

but when following the instructions below but the security light doesnt turn on.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

am I doing something wrong?

does matter if i have an aftermarket alarm?

Old 02-06-2012 | 07:58 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

how the ground on the motor

Old 02-06-2012 | 08:43 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by scottl1346
how the ground on the motor
The ground to the motor is good.

The part bugging me the most is the whole pass lock relearn process. Why is the security light not turning on? It turns on when the pass lock sensor wire is unplugged though.

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:25 AM
|
Beginning Member

Can I get swartlkk to help out?

when i turn the key all i hear is a clicking noise.

Old 02-07-2012 | 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ihatefordz
Can I get swartlkk to help out?

when i turn the key all i hear is a clicking noise.
Kyle hasn't been on since last month. I suspect he's busy with his regular life outside the forum. I wish I could help you with your troubles.

Old 02-07-2012 | 11:04 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Kyle hasn't been on since last month. I suspect he's busy with his regular life outside the forum. I wish I could help you with your troubles.
got a question for you tho. my aftermarket alarm isnt working. How can i tell (besides tapping on it) if my started is bad?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever seen this issue before?