2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Anyone ran into this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
mross45640 is on a distinguished road

I have a 99 jimmy and it is driving me crazy randomly after it has set overnight it coughs,sputters and misses like not getting fuel it also last night when I stopped for gas while it was having one of these spells would not allow any gas to be pumped into its tank I would pull handle on pump and it would kick right off it is driving me crazy it also and may not have anything to do with it when you do fill it up has a gas odor until fuel guage goes off full the previous owner put a new auto zone fuel pump in it last yr but this didn't start till about 4 months ago anyone's help or input would be great thanks

Forgot to mention after driving last night for about 10 miles I stopped at another gas station and it filled right up

After it had stopped the sputtering and when it does this it cranks forever before it starts

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-15-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Default Someone help me!

This truck is driving me crazy.if truck sits over a day it will hardly start and then for quite a few miles it sputters and misses and then today it had no power talking to the floor 5 mpg tops then stopped shut it off restarted and now runs fine.fuel pressure was checked and was fine but oh course when I took in it wasn't acting up.it also does not do this everytime it sits.it sat one time for a week fired right up and ran fine. Former owner put a auto zone fuel pump in it before I bought it and it ran fine for 5 months them started this.it also does it worse when wet out has new tune up parts anyone throw me a bone on this thing? I'm about to sell it

Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

So far we have not had this issue but there is another tread with the hard to start the first time each day currently running too but only guesses had been offered the last time I scanned it.

Our fuel pump was working/engine starting fine then I filled up with gas and it would NOT start.

It may be electrical/connection issues since it does not always do it and that is is worse when wet outside.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Possibly the po replaced pump himself thinking might need to come back out and of does a new Delphi or gm pump will go in it also has small leak at top of tank wondering now that I calm down and think about it maybe the pump wasn't put in right

Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*mross45640, I have combined your two threads on this same subject. Please do not double post as it is against Forum rules and please try to be more descriptive with your thread titles so folks will have an idea what the issue is. It helps get members interested in reading your thread.*

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM

Oh ok sorry

Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Autozone fuel pump......... That's your problem with starting. Aftermarket pumps like that don't provide the pressure/flow these engines need. Sure it was working well at first but they tend to fail in short order. Delphi or AcDelco is the only way to go.

as for the filling problem and gas smell, I've read around here and noticed a thread about the same thing, has something to do with the vent system under the back of the truck. I can't remember the name of the thread but i'm sure if you search you'll find the one I mean.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM

I looked at the threads mine only did that one time in fact filled it up today with no problems.i think the tank is gonna have to come down the po was terrible about cobbling up his repairs hard to tell what he did with fuel pump I figured maybe even didn't get the lock ring back on tank right he did not put on a new fuel filter so not 100% sure he really even changed pump

I do have a fuel pump question looking at rock auto Delphi fuel pump pt#fg0052 only lists for plastic fuel tank but if I find mine is leaking the replacements are metal what Delphi pump number should I use?

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 12-22-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts-Please use the 'Edit' feature to add more info to your last post if no one has replied
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Ok this thing is officially driven me nuts ran fine bout 2:00 today got in it an hr ago cough sputter miss all way to my brothers and back only difference was pouring rain now now think chasing an ignition problem gonna break down after Christmas and take back to dealer and tell em keep it till it does it ugh

Old 12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Get yourself a fuel pressure tester ~$40. Check fuel pressure when it's acting up. Make sure it builds pressure with each key cycle. You mentioned the pump was replaced about 5 months ago... if it's an Airtex pump you did better than most people As for the leak, some aftermarket manufacturers, (Airtex is one of them) supply you with a fuel pump module O ring that doesn't fit right causing both fuel leaks and EVAP leaks. As for not taking fuel when filling up, the roll-over ball may be binding in the tank neck, (it is part of the fuel tank).

Quick Reply: Anyone ran into this?