2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Automatic Transfer Case Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Automatic Transfer Case Question

Is the hose providing vacuum to that firewall celoniod connected at the bottommost nipple? JP[>:]

Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I really am not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the funny thing about their claims is that they still do not list that it is comparable with Autotrak 2 fluid. Nothing in their literature at all. The only time I have ever seen this brand has been in motor oil at the corner gas station. No where else. I am all for a miracle fluid, but... I am very skeptical. Considering that a slip-stick situation like this can occur from using the wrong fluid in the transfer case, $16 ($32 if you flush it through after 100-500 miles) for the proper Autotrak 2 fluid might just be worth it.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

I will give my final on this, swartlkk. If you feel uncomfortable using something other then Autotrak 2, that is your choice. Better safe then sorry is what they say. Wolf Head tech support told me GM has not released the license on Autotrak 2, as you mentioned earlier. But they don't release the license because they have a deal with other companies for there chemicals. ($$$) And due to trademark laws they cannot list Autotrak 2. But if you notice on the list they do list General Motors, which can broadly include Autotrak 2. Since Wolf Head spent money and time on testing the Wolf Head Super Universal Sythetic ATF in Autotrak 2 application and my garage did the research to find it out, and I told then before they serviced my Blazer, I going to let the fluid in there. Its over 2,000 miles and I had no problem with it. My garage will be the first to hear about a problem. I can say if anything pops up. However, I will not actively promote this product, because as far as cost goes, $16 to replace your fliud in your transfer case is not that big of a deal.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you are not interested in changing the fluid to possibly cure the problem you are experiencing. There is a TSB on this issue specifically stating the slip-stick condition while turning. That is the only reason I have kept up with the mantra of using Autotrak 2 fluid. If it were not for that TSB, I would have stopped beating it to death already.

It is also possible that the damage was done prior to the use of the aftermarket fluid and there is nothing short of rebuilding/replacing the transfer case. Who knows, but all diagnosis starts with the simple things first.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, now I see where you are coming from(concerning a TSB) Obviously, you still believe there is a problem. Then this has been a problem since I had it. So back to the an earlier question: Has the dealer service center lied to me? What does it me when it is in Auto mode and the front axle is engaged? If I got to redo my transfer case, forget it.

Peru Motors: Is the hose providing vacuum to that firewall celoniod connected at the bottommost nipple? I don't know what you are trying to say, tell me where to specifically tell where to look.