2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bad Fuel Leak Above Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:11 PM
mmalone120 is on a distinguished road
Default Bad Fuel Leak Above Tank

So a family member's '03 Xtreme Blazer is sitting in my driveway with a bad fuel leak coming from somewhere above the gas tank. Once the pump turns on, it comes squirting out from up there like a Super Soaker water gun.

Anyone know what it could be? Any common problems on these trucks? Seems like there's no way to see where the leak is coming from w/o dropping the tank (which is 3/4s full).

I tried to remove the gas tank shield, but after taking out the screws I can't seem to wedge it out around the leaf springs and rear diff.

So any info on what the leak could be, how to get the shield out, and how to drop the fuel tank would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Starting Member
NormanC is on a distinguished road

OK same problem on my 1999... turn out to be the flex fuel line that attaches to the pump... lifted the blazer enough to get my fat butt under it dropped the tank a few inches... replaced pressure & return lines they are about a foot long and quick release....

Last edited by NormanC; 10-28-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by NormanC
OK same problem on my 1999... turn out to be the flex fuel line that attaches to the pump... lifted the blazer enough to get my fat butt under it dropped the tank a few inches... replaced pressure & return lines they are about a foot long and quick release....
Thanks for the info man. Sounds good. Was thinking I might have to lay out the cash for a new pump.

Couple questions:
1. How the heck did ya drop the tank? I removed all the screws that hold in the tank cover (skidplate) but can't get it out. It's lose and just hanging there but can't squeeze it passed the leaf springs and rear diff.

2. And the lines? Where'd ya get 'em from? Any auto store or dealer?

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Could be a few things, pretty sure its all plastic lines and fittings up there and it will be on your pressure line, best case its just a bad o-ring or the retainer clip wasnt fully seated when installed and it has come loose. Worst case the nipple on top of the /pump sending unit has cracked and it will have to be replaced, only other thing is the plastice fuel line thats attached to the vehicle has broken, i think Dorman makes repair kits if thats the case, either way fix it with the correct parts, cobbled fuel sytems burn and kill people all the time.
Let us know what you find.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Ok, finally got around to fixing the leak. Or at least I hope I fixed it.

The leak was caused by one of the metal lines corroding away so much that a hole developed. It was the 3/8" line that runs from the tank to the fuel filter, but the hole was closer to the tank. About 6" away from the tank after the quick-connect fitting.

I tried finding some repair kits that would work. But no luck. I needed a quick connect on one end, then something flexible and then an open 3/8" line. I would've then used one of the compression fittings on the open end to the original line where I cut it about a foot down beyond the corrosion.

So I ended up getting a new 1' long 3/8" line. Cut it in half, replaced the old end that goes to the quick-connect fitting by the tank, and then used a fuel hose held on by two clamps on each side to run between the two metal sections of line.

It runs fine now with no leaks, but my question is will the hose hold? Turns out the hose I used (from autozone) has an SAE 30r7 rating. 50psi working pressure and 250psi burst rating.

Here's a link to the product description at AutoZone: Armor Mark/Fuel line hose 50063 at AutoZone.com

So what do you guys think? Will it hold and is it safe?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It might hold, but if you want a permanent fix get one of these line kits. I just installed one in my '01 Jimmy that had the same issue happening with the lines rotting. It was super fast to install and the price is pretty fair in my opinion. The return line and the pressure supply line come in two pieces and with a new fuel filter. It's a really well made kit and the lines are pretty much perfectly bent to match factory as well.

LINK to fuel line for my Truck and HERE'S the fuel line for that '03 Blazer Xtreme

Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
It might hold, but if you want a permanent fix get one of these line kits. I just installed one in my '01 Jimmy that had the same issue happening with the lines rotting. It was super fast to install and the price is pretty fair in my opinion. The return line and the pressure supply line come in two pieces and with a new fuel filter. It's a really well made kit and the lines are pretty much perfectly bent to match factory as well.

LINK to fuel line for my Truck and HERE'S the fuel line for that '03 Blazer Xtreme
Thanks, yeah I saw that kit online. Was trying to have it fixed this weekend though. Though of course, I'm sure that's the best solution.

Looks like AutoZone actually does carry the better hose rated for 100psi working pressure. Armor Mark/Fuel injection hose 50087 at AutoZone.com
The guy working there either grabbed the wrong one or I just didn't specify with enough detail. Either way, I should have double checked before installing it.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Either pick up the better hose tomorrow and throw it on or get that kit and attempt to drive it as is until next weekend.

You think the better hose is good enough and a solution to last for years? And if not, think what I have on there now will hold for the week until the kit arrives and I get the chance next weekend to put it in?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:02 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I think the hose that's on it now will hold fine. I drove mine for about a year with a piece of hose covering the bad area (like a patch) held on with clamps until it starting leaking at a different spot. Once that happened I knew I had to replace the line.

I wouldn't worry that much about the hose itself, it will hold fine, but if the lines are rotted that badly you'll have more issues with them in the future. Drive it now and be happy, just order the line kit when you can and have it on hand for when the another rotten spot starts to leak again. That way you're prepared for it and the repair time will only be a half hour or so.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The "50psi working pressure" rubber line is not safe. Working pressure on your vehicle is 60psi to 66psi and the pump is capable of building upwards of 100psi. If you choose to use rubber fuel line instead of nylon or steel, it must be labeled "fuel injection rated" on the line. Worm gear style clamps are not recommended. Use fuel injection clamps: Autocraft 3/8" Automotive Fuel Injection Hose Clamp (4-Pack) AC52F16V: Get the best Hose Clamp at Advance Auto Parts

Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The "50psi working pressure" rubber line is not safe. Working pressure on your vehicle is 60psi to 66psi and the pump is capable of building upwards of 100psi. If you choose to use rubber fuel line instead of nylon or steel, it must be labeled "fuel injection rated" on the line. Worm gear style clamps are not recommended. Use fuel injection clamps: Autocraft 3/8" Automotive Fuel Injection Hose Clamp (4-Pack) AC52F16V: Get the best Hose Clamp at Advance Auto Parts
Thanks for the info on the clamps. I'll make sure to use them instead.

Now ideally using the kit is best, but as long as I use the hose rated for 100psi working pressure, think that's a safe solution?

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel Leak Above Tank