2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

bad starter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road
Unhappy bad starter???

I have a 2001 blazer lt with about 142 xxx miles on it... I've noticed its now having a hard time starting, I now have to turn the key 2 to 3 times for it to start... today i took it to auto zone to have my battery check, and i was told it was fine... Its currently putting out 12 volts, so where else should i look??? what can be causeing this??? Could it be the starter?? and how hard is it to swap out for a new one??

Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

do you get a clicking sound ? its possibly a bad solenoid (on the starter)

i rather replace the whole thing since your dropping it to replace the solenoid

im replacing mine tomorrow

Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Does it turn over sluggishly? - connection issue or bad starter I'd say
Does it turn over fast/regular but doesn't fire/start? - could be a vacuum issue, fuel management &/or ignition
Odd but I'll ask when the last oil change was done & what weight is being used... hey odder things have happened! lol
12v?... shouldn't the battery be putting out around 13.6v for cranking power?! 12v is low, I'd check connections to the starter & block for + & grounds. Look for corrosion, loose connections etc especially if it's a sudden issue. Maybe a connection came lose or corrosion became too much for the battery to overcome.
That being said a sudden issue could be a starter that crapped out or a solenoid.
Check the coil connections as well, to & from it to the dist.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road

change your starter mine was acting up for a while and i just recently took it in to get checked i thought pulling it out was a pain because of my transfer case but thats just me. but when you go to put it back in change your power wire for your starter and solenoid wire one or both wires could be crimped.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by darknight
I have a 2001 blazer lt with about 142 xxx miles on it... I've noticed its now having a hard time starting, I now have to turn the key 2 to 3 times for it to start... today i took it to auto zone to have my battery check, and i was told it was fine... Its currently putting out 12 volts, so where else should i look??? what can be causeing this??? Could it be the starter?? and how hard is it to swap out for a new one??
Very VAGUE!!! Nothing there points to a starter problem at all, instead that describes 'hard to start' which can be a whole different issue.
Does the starter not work sometimes, or does it simply sound like it is 'laboring'?

Originally Posted by pettyfog

Symptom: Turn key to start, nothing. no sounds. Lights dont dim. Whack starter. Engine starts as usual.

Cause: Solenoid plunger hung up. Other than a bad connection to Ign sw, that's all it can be.

Here's some other symptoms and causes..

Symptom: Turn key to start, hear 'thunk' but no crank. Lights dont dim. Whack starter. Engine starts as usual.

Cause: Solenoid plunger working. Bad high power connection to battery, contacts in solenoid bad, worn brushes. rap on starter and it works.. usually bad contact in sol or brushed

Symptom: Turn key to start, hear 'thunk' but no crank. Lights dim. Whack starter. Engine sometimes starts
Cause: starter armature rubbing field plates, usually worn bearings

Old 12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Starting Member

yes pretty fog it sounds like its working harder than it should be. i really do have a good feeling its the starter, or maybe im getting very pour fuel pressure. what do u think guys?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Starting Member

I was just thinking, could it be a bad relay or a bad fuel regulator??? what do you think guys