2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

BAh, day 2 and I already need new stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Mapoftazifosho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BAh, day 2 and I already need new stuff

The belt tensioner has gone out on my car. I knew I needed to replace the belt right off the bat, but I didn't think it would all of the sudden start making this kinda racket already.

I hope and pray this is not a sign of things to come. []

Sorry for the ranting, I don't think I will really need any advice on the subject.

Once I get that all done tomorrow I will take some pics of my new beauty. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: BAh, day 2 and I already need new stuff

Just be careful that the tensioner doesn't "explode" when you remove the bolt.
I've had a couple that when I removed the bolt, the tensioner spring went flying past my ear as the tensioner broke into 2 pieces.[sm=oopssign.gif]

Old 01-07-2007, 01:30 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point

ChevyLover, I just put on a new belt on the 97 Jimmy and noticed the belt tensioner was moving around and looked like the spring was all sacked out. I just purchased a new dayco replacement. Have not had the time to put it on. How do you take these things off without them exploding. Will a piece of wire help? Boy, to be honest I very seldom wear safety glasses unless I'm underneath working on things or using power tools. I better start wearing them all the time....

Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Mapoftazifosho is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did mine and the newer ones are engineered so they cannot explode. The tensioner spring is sealed up so you shouldn't worry about it at all.

Mine is an 00, I am not certain about the 97s.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about wiring it, just be aware that it could come apart. Maybe wear heavy gloves and keep one hand on it when you remove the mounting bolt.
When the one exploded on me, I wasn't holding it, I just wound out the bolt with an air ratchett and let the tensioner fall.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Chevy Lover
May I recommend Dewy, Cheatem and Howe? I think you could have a lawsuit there. You could have been seriously injured with that exploding belt tensioner. BUT be careful if you run out of gas while driving to the courthouse with thembecause one will surely light a match to look into the gas tank!