2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ball joint instalation trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member
missmyK5 is on a distinguished road
Default ball joint instalation trouble

1996 s10 blazer 4x4

I am in process of changing lower BJ's. Right side already done.

Left side I had problems getting the rubber block removed from under upper control arm. The right side fell out when nut was removed. I removed the right one before BJ was broke loose. Left side I forgot to take it out until after I had busted the BJ loose. Could it be that having the joint loose first caused my problem? As hard as it was to get out If that wasn't the problem I'll never get it back in.

Next problem.

It was a little bit of a struggle to get old BJ and new BJ under the bottom of the lower C arm on the right side. The left side took what seemed like hours to get out from under the LCA. Various jack placements and lots of pry bar leverage were needed to get it out. The new one is not going under no matter how I've tried.

I have the joint in the knuckle with the nut on and I pulled it in tight hoping to get enough clearance.The upper CA also seems like it's down as far as it will go.Tie rod disconnected. With the knuckle turned all the way to the left I can get it started but so far no matter where I put the jack or how hard I pry I can't get it over the hump in the joint.

This is my first attempt at BJ replacement. It shouldn't be this difficult. I've got the other side done for crying out loud.

I gave up late last night because my old knees were hurting and haven't been back out today. This morning I've spent hours searching and reading and have not come up with an answer.

I'm hoping someone can point something out that I might of missed. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I have found it easier to remove the spindle from the top ball joint and then the spindle will drop down for you and make it alot easier. If your not replacing uppers just be careful not to damage the boot. You will find that once you get the lower in the upper will go back in easy.

Hope that helps

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member
missmyK5 is on a distinguished road

The above answer is the correct answer.Thank you.

Once I took the old upper BJ out I decided to put in a new one. It was easy putting it back together this time. It was so easy that I took apart the right side and put a new one in there also.

The moral for me was: Don't try and cut corners. If it's apart, change them all at the same time. More money but way less aggravation.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Glad to help.....yeah sometimes cutting corners when elbow deep in grease and parts doesnt help.