2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer died on freeway!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road
Question Blazer died on freeway!

Hi, doing 70mph in the outside lane earlier when vehicle just died, I mean died like I just turned the ignition off, no misfire or rough running beforehand - nothing! Motor cranks over normally but will not start, plenty of gas in tank - smells of gas when cranking & can hear pump running. Plugged in code reader & no codes present. Thinking probably ignition related but want to know if there's anything obvious I should check 1st? Rev counter dropped to zero the instant the engine died - before I could even coast to a stop. Any ideas would be welcome before I go in blind.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
jorg is on a distinguished road

You could check if there is a spark when you start the engine...that easy to check...........

Greets from holland

Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Starting Member

There is no spark, gonna take distributor cap off & check inside. Wondering if coil has packed up? Will let you know what I find.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

also, check the rotor under the cap. make sure there isn't to much play-or that it isn't even attached anymore (ie: broken distributor shaft).

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Your seloniod(sp) (on starter) might be fried Dave.

Last edited by blzR; 08-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Starting Member

Had a good look around today & checked for anything obvious, upon closer examination I found there were only 6 HT wires on the distributor cap instead of 7- the one from the coil was hanging down the back of the engine!
Replaced it & she fired up straight away! Wish all fixes were as easy as that, couldn't have pushed that one wire in far enough when I replaced them all a while back.
Still doesn't explain why rev counter dropped to zero the moment it all died though, would have expected that to still register if the LT circuit was OK?

Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

"Motor cranks over normally but will not start"

oops, missed that right there, man what a blessed issue this one was!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member
jorg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Had a good look around today & checked for anything obvious, upon closer examination I found there were only 6 HT wires on the distributor cap instead of 7- the one from the coil was hanging down the back of the engine!
Replaced it & she fired up straight away! Wish all fixes were as easy as that, couldn't have pushed that one wire in far enough when I replaced them all a while back.
Still doesn't explain why rev counter dropped to zero the moment it all died though, would have expected that to still register if the LT circuit was OK?

That's good news it was so simple!!

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DaveHearne

don't feel bad though, i had the same thing happen to me, while in my Dart years ago.

problem was, i was down in Lexington KY for a show, and doyou think anyone would stop to give me a boost after i got the wire back on? guess they saw the foreign plates, and said forget about it.

as for needing a boost............the car had an under hood temp of 170*F, and really needed a second battery if it hadn't cooled down enough. (2 1/4" primary fender well headers create alot of heat-even when wrapped!)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Starting Member

If I hadn't been on a 4 lane freeway with traffic shooting past the truck at 70+mph a foot away I might have been able to look around & find the problem rather than waiting the hour it took for the tow truck to turn up. Just after the engine died a police patrol car stopped & told me to get out of the vehicle & sit on the grass while I waited for the tow truck so never got a chance to look around at the side of the road.
Thank god i've got national take-you-anywhere breakdown cover or would've cost me £100+ (about $160) to get towed the 10 miles home.
Have been wondering how we used to manage in the days before cellphones?

Last edited by DaveHearne; 08-06-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Blazer died on freeway!